Challenge Guidelines

Take the The One-Day Build Challenge and show your results here.

Moderator: Moderators

nicholassagan

Challenge Guidelines

Post by nicholassagan »

See Rich's Guidelines below for the contest-version of this challenge.

For the NON-CONTEST ENTRIES:

Build Rule/Guidelines

1. Most importantly, the build must be started and completed in the course of 24 hours.

2. The build can be anything you challenge yourself with: OOB, scratchbuild, kitbash, diorama, lighted, and so on.

3. You can have opened the box and looked over parts, done prep drawings/notes, gathered materials, etc, prior to starting.

4. The unstarted build must be DOCUMENTED. This can easily be accomplished by any of these means:

- photo taken with newspaper date
- photo taken with cell phone time/date
- time stamp feature enabled on your camera

5. You can post the progress and finished build in a single new thread. One thread per build, please. Exceptions are multiples (IE: I'm building a squad of 1/144 Valkyries or something).

6. If you post a build in the forum, you are disqualified from the contest. If you mention what you are building in another's thread, you are disqualified from the contest.

7. Enjoy the flood of compliments!

Important Dates

The Sunday closest to the beginning of the month will be the starting date, and the Saturday closest to the end of the month will be the ending date. That way photos can go up Sunday or Monday, and voting will close on the following Saturday.

The May Contest will be 35 days in length, and will have the following dates:

Opens April 30th
Closes June 3rd (to avoid WonderFest conflicts)
Voting beings June 4th
Polls close June 10th
Winners will be announced within a week
Last edited by nicholassagan on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Hmmmm . . . . lemme check with myself (seeing as how I'm the owner & all of the officers) and see if SFMKD.com would be willing to contribute a prize of some sort. Maybe an SSM Gift Certificate . . . :8)

Then again . . . sponsoring a prize would probably disqualify me from being able to participate in the build, wouldn't it? :(
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

Lonewolf wrote:Then again . . . sponsoring a prize would probably disqualify me from being able to participate in the build, wouldn't it? :(
:-k Hmm, I don't see the conflict of interest in having a chance to win back your own stuff.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Bellerophon wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:Then again . . . sponsoring a prize would probably disqualify me from being able to participate in the build, wouldn't it? :(
:-k Hmm, I don't see the conflict of interest in having a chance to win back your own stuff.
Well, since the polls would be open voting there would be that chance...
Gouf

Post by Gouf »

Ok, 2 questions:

What are the start/end dates for entries? I'm Working two 12 hour shifts this weekend. But I'm off a day this week. So if you don't mind a late start...

I had previously laid out decals in Adobe Illustrator for a kit that didn't have any and had them printed for the kit I have in mind. Would that still qualify?

:?:
-Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy, but socially dead!

My finished kits can be seen here: http://kitbash.net
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Gouf wrote:Ok, 2 questions:

What are the start/end dates for entries? I'm Working two 12 hour shifts this weekend. But I'm off a day this week. So if you don't mind a late start...
Well, here's the thing: Lonewolf and I are in discussion about setting up the contest parameters. Doing something a little more rounded out that outlined above would be one track, leaving another track for people who just want to share their builds.

So if you want in on the contest, sit tight and we'll post specific info. If not, go ahead and post a new thread below.
Gouf wrote:I had previously laid out decals in Adobe Illustrator for a kit that didn't have any and had them printed for the kit I have in mind. Would that still qualify?

:?:
Yeah, I think I'd count that as gathering materials...you're technically not building it yet...
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

After some PMs with Nicholas, we’re trying to streamline the One-Day Build Challenge (“ODBC”) Contest.

First off, Nicholas and I are going to bow out and not participate in the contest version of the challenge because of the administration portion. We want to offer folks an anonymous posting and voting system similar to what Starship Modeler has offered for each of the prior contests. So, here’s what we’re thinking:

Build Rule/Guidelines

1. Most importantly, the build must be started and completed in the course of 24 hours.

2. The build can be anything you challenge yourself with: OOB, scratchbuild, kitbash, diorama, lighted, and so on.

3. You can have opened the box and looked over parts, done prep drawings/notes, gathered materials, etc, prior to starting.

4. The unstarted build must be DOCUMENTED. This can easily be accomplished by any of these means:

- photo taken with newspaper date
- photo taken with cell phone time/date
- time stamp feature enabled on your camera

5. When the build has been completed and is ready for submission, send the entry photos (and personal information including name, snail-mail address, screen name, and e-mail address) via the SFMKD.com Hotmail account: sfmkdmaster@hotmail.com

6. A main One-Day Build Challenge folder has been created on the SFMKD.com Photobucket website, and a subfolder for the month (2012 - May) is also in place. Each entry will have its own subfolder under the monthly folder containing all of the photos submitted for that entry. Once all the entries are in, a thread will be posted with links to the albums so people can view the entry photos.

7. Vote will be via e-mail ballot, with the votes being sent to the same SFMKD.com e-mail address. Votes will be forwarded to Nicholas so there will be two of us keeping a tally.

8. After the winners have been named, a new Winners thread will be started with the info on who won what. Photos of the winning entries will be posted in the Winners Gallery folder on Photobucket.

Important Dates

The Sunday closest to the beginning of the month will be the starting date, and the Saturday closest to the end of the month will be the ending date. That way photos can go up Sunday or Monday, and voting will close on the following Saturday.

The May Contest will be 35 days in length, and will have the following dates:

Opens April 30th
Closes June 3rd (to avoid WonderFest conflicts)
Voting beings June 4th
Polls close June 10th
Winners will be announced within a week

Prizes

This is where we need a bit of help. For the first month, Nicholas and I are going to contribute the prizes, but after that we’re going to need some donations (kits, accessories, decals, etc.) to help out.

For the May 2012 contest, the prizes will be as follows:

First Place: $25.00 SSM Store Gift Certificate
Second Place: $15.00 SSM Store Gift Certificate
Third Place: AMT 1:48 Naboo N-1 Starfighter kit

The gift certificates will be sent directly to the winners from the SSM Store after the contest results have been announced.

Depending on how this works, we're thinking of another ODBC in June or July.

That’s about it. So . . . . . you have one week until the contest opens!

On your mark . . . . . .

Get set . . . . . . .

Glue it! :8)
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

Three questions:
  • 1. Only sci-fi models or anything goes?
    2. Why not vote in a poll on the thread?
    3. Can you vote for yourself, or do you discount those?

nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Bellerophon wrote:Three questions:
  • 1. Only sci-fi models or anything goes?
Anything goes.
Bellerophon wrote:2. Why not vote in a poll on the thread?
Because then we can't close the polls when voting time is over. But perhaps we will consider this option for the future.
Bellerophon wrote:3. Can you vote for yourself, or do you discount those?[/list]
We'll discount those. :P
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

nicholassagan wrote:
Bellerophon wrote:3. Can you vote for yourself, or do you discount those?[/list]
We'll discount those. :P
Good! Don't penalize people for having class!

As for the poll, that people can vote when it no longer counts isn't such a big deal. You could post the final results in the thread. I thought your objection to it might be that the results are viewable, and could influence votes.

nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Bellerophon wrote:I thought your objection to it might be that the results are viewable, and could influence votes.
That's part of it, too...
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

We are T-Minus 4 hours and 33 minutes to the start of the May challenge. Is anybody thinking of participating in this?

My clock here says 7:27 p.m., even if the message time doesn't.

SeoulWind

Post by SeoulWind »

I could probably manage something around the holiday at the end of the month...

Mark in Okinawa
"I ordered two hundred oxen, but they sent us all these little..weiner dogs..."

"STAMPEDE!"
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

I plan on doing a build possibly this Friday. :D But it'll be public since I can't participate in the contest... :cry:
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

nicholassagan wrote:I plan on doing a build possibly this Friday. :D But it'll be public since I can't participate in the contest... :cry:
Y'know, that's why in future* the contest should be decided a poll on the thread. Then you can enter, too. There's no conflict of interest if you win, 'cause you don't control the vote counting, and each SSMer can only vote once to prevent any ballot box stuffing. How many email addresses do you have? I have five.

*time that hasn't happened yet. Not the glossy clear coating.

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

The entire point was to offer an anonymous voting system, as SSM does for the main contests. That way you don't vote for one person just because of name recognition.

It's a level playing field where everyone has a chance, whether they've been building for 5 days, 5 months, or 5 years.

For anybody that just wants to build, and doesn't care about entering the contest, feel free to post a thread with pics of your model.

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

It's the 15th . . . . is anybody participating in this, or planning to?

Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

Yeah, I gotta take a break from my various slow-moving grandiose modeling projects and dig out one of my remaining Starblazers minis, slap it together, and daub on some paint. On a day when I don't have to deal with any other nonsense.

But first I have to make some Burke chairs for Starfleet personnel who are about 2.5mm tall.

nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Maybe June might be a better kick-off month...then everybody will have their WF goodies and be itching to build them, eh? :8)
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Possible, but I don't know. I'm willing to help sponsor for the first month.