Group Build Idea?

Take the The One-Day Build Challenge and show your results here.

Moderator: Moderators

Are you up to the challenge?

Yay
64%
Nay
36%

Total votes: 25

nicholassagan

Group Build Idea?

Post by nicholassagan »

So I was thinking about what could be a neat group build idea:

The One Day Build.

The build would first and foremost have to happen in one day, obviously, start to finish. It would also be within a date range, since not all of us have the same day off, if any at all.

Can be ANYTHING you challenge yourself with: any OOB, scratch, kitbash, dio, lighted. Whatever you think you can do.

No pre-starting, only looking at the parts so the start would have to be documented, say a photo of the unstarted kit against a clock or something. Personally, I would update hourly just for the sake of keeping up with it.

The Prize? I dunno. The feeling of finishing something in a day. Unless someone wants to sponsor and toss up a kit or tools or something. But then there would have to be another poll at the END to determine winner.

What say you?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Having assembled, painted, and weathered a model in 6 hours this will be a breeze.
Abolish Alliteration
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Ok that's 2. :D You know, a 1/72 MaK Falke would be a good one for this... :twisted:
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

Something about this reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger in Predator: "Do it now! Kill me! I'm here! Do it!"

Ja, I vill dooh it.

I still have a couple of unbuilt Bandai Star Blazers minis, I could knock one of them out in a day. This requires keeping puttying and sanding to a minimum!
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
El Gato
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of the imagination

Post by El Gato »

Depending on the day, I'm in
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

- Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes"
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

El Gato wrote:Depending on the day, I'm in
Like I said, it'd be up to you if it were in say, a 2 week time frame. Just pick a day and do it.

Otherwise it WOULD be cool for everyone to do it on the same day...
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Oh HEY-O YEH! :D

I am so in! I've got myriad subjects to choose from. This little HO scale autogyro I picked up at the hobby store for a song might be a good one. :8)
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

I'm game. Just need to figure out a day when I can work, uninterrupted, on a kit.

And then there's the whole "what the frack do I build" question that has to be answered. But I have a few kits to choose from (about 450 unbuilt ones). :wink:
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
TooOld4This

Post by TooOld4This »

Sure, I got a nice shiny new Destroid Defender to knock over!
onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Post by onezero »

The spirit is willing but the flrsh is weak. I'd never get something done in just one day.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.
its-jess

Post by its-jess »

I shall follow this intently, but not participate. I never know from one minute to the next what I'll have time for the next day.
G-man

Post by G-man »

If you can do it sometime that doesn't conflict with my client demands for wonderfest, I'm down for it.
so for me it would have to be mid may probably.

George
Follow Catalyst Creations on face book!
Or
On The Web!
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

To all who doubt: you have the power! Either way it seems like there is enough traction with this idea to start deciding on a DATE RANGE, eh? We could start by opening up the month of May. Thoughts?

Kit wise for myself I was thinking something with a simple paint scheme, simple build (little to no putty) and little to no decals...I have a FM TIE Interceptor on deck I'd like to do up as a Royal Guard Interceptor. Maybe a 1/144 Fulcrum, Gizmotron Strike Cruiser or 2 Fat Guys Trade Federation Lander would work, too...
Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

nicholassagan wrote:To all who doubt: you have the power! Either way it seems like there is enough traction with this idea to start deciding on a DATE RANGE, eh? We could start by opening up the month of May. Thoughts?

Kit wise for myself I was thinking something with a simple paint scheme, simple build (little to no putty) and little to no decals...I have a FM TIE Interceptor on deck I'd like to do up as a Royal Guard Interceptor. Maybe a 1/144 Fulcrum, Gizmotron Strike Cruiser or 2 Fat Guys Trade Federation Lander would work, too...
Hmmm, going 'little' seems a cop out to the challenge. :P
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." -Jayne Cobb
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Gundamhead wrote:
nicholassagan wrote:To all who doubt: you have the power! Either way it seems like there is enough traction with this idea to start deciding on a DATE RANGE, eh? We could start by opening up the month of May. Thoughts?

Hmmm, going 'little' seems a cop out to the challenge. :P
Bah! Size, matters not!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Resin requires more filling, fitting & sanding. From my experience with 6 hour builds I can tell you to use a well fitting kit without 500 parts (it takes me exactly 6 hours to assemble an Armored Core Nine-Ball kit for example). You'll want something with minimal seam filling and where you do you'll want to be able to use fast fillers like Gorilla CA & Mr. Surfacer 500. Take your time fitting the parts as it'll leave you with less of a seam to sand down.

Then comes paint. Keep it simple unless you're an a/b god. Use fast curing paints like lacquers or the harder acrylics (like Tamiya). Plan on free handing as much as possible, masks take time. Hand brush finer parts.

For weathering I used pastels as they go down quicker with no dry time. With a day I'd probably go with a simple wash and a pastel highlighting.
Abolish Alliteration
b5ranger99

Post by b5ranger99 »

I'm in, I can consider Wonderfest a warm up.
"When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be."
Dukhat, Babylon 5

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
Lewis Carroll
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

I have a couple of kits in mind, and I have this Sunday free to build. After that it's gonna get tight. I'm working an all-day auction for my in-laws on the 28th, and the 29th is booked with stuff at church.

Once May hits, I'm on Tech Team at church for the month, which means my Sunday mornings are booked from 8:30 to noon every week.

I might have a Saturday open the first or second weekend, depending on my wife's work schedule (doesn't have the May one home yet).

I'm thinking that I'm going to take digital photos with the time/date stamp enabled to document the build.

Do we all have to do this on the same day, or are we fitting in the building where we can on an individual basis?
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Lonewolf wrote:Do we all have to do this on the same day, or are we fitting in the building where we can on an individual basis?
I'm thinking it would be too complicated to orchestrate a single day for all. Fridays are generally my good days. It would seem that maybe we just say "Any day in May". If 1-0 okays it, we can get a special topic section started where we can post. What say you all?
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Works for me. I'll just have to fit in a day when and where I can.

Now I just gotta narrow down the choices to one or two kits to work on.

Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

If there's enough interest in May, why not repeat it? If there's a special topic section (called something like "Show Us Your One-Day Build"), there could be a poll for the best one-day build at the end of the month, every month, for as long as there's interest and someone wants to post the poll.

I think you have come up with a great idea, NS! It's a great motivator, especially for those of us (maybe most of us) who fear the next model may be another one we spend a lot of time on and never finish.

nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Bellerophon wrote:If there's enough interest in May, why not repeat it? If there's a special topic section (called something like "Show Us Your One-Day Build"), there could be a poll for the best one-day build at the end of the month, every month, for as long as there's interest and someone wants to post the poll.

Good suggestions! It would be cool to repeat if May has a strong showing. And with keeping it open the "best build" voting thread would have to be the only "monthly". I don't mind managing the threads if 1-0 lets me. I've asked him if he could start a section for this idea. :D
Bellerophon wrote:I think you have come up with a great idea, NS! It's a great motivator, especially for those of us (maybe most of us) who fear the next model may be another one we spend a lot of time on and never finish.
Thanks man! Honestly, I'm kinda surprised at the positive responses! I have a handful of things that could work in this mode...and it'll help trim my list down, too!
El Gato
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of the imagination

Post by El Gato »

Heck, I may just take a vacation day just to participate....
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

- Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes"
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Remember that May is the month that WonderFest is being held, and a lot of folks will be getting their contest entries ready for that. Also, John and Linda will be frantically busy before and after the show (with all of the stuff for the SSM Store), so don't be surprised if there isn't time for an "official" contest in May.

That being said, if we want to have an "unofficial" contest, with folks building entries and then posting links to photos of their build-ups, that might be the way to go. No work for John and Linda, and we can still have fun. Maybe time it so we have the build-up sometime over the weekend that WonderFest is held. Kind of a "let's have fun while the bosses are away" contest! :D

nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

As long as a special topic section is posted I can manage it :D john and linda can be hands off :D
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

May June would be better - a lot of kits for certain US residents would have been purchased at Wonderfest, I'm guessing. I may have something I could build in a day, come to think of it....
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Thanks to 1-0, we have a Special Topic Board!

I'll post some guidelines, etc in there today.
NNYGamer

Post by NNYGamer »

A trip to the dollar store got me the parts I needed for some minis. I want to mae a small fleet of 4 good/ 4 bad guys that kinda look like Star Trek. After done I am using the photos for a card game.

The Parts.
Not sure what day I'll be doing it though.
I have no signature.
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

NNYGamer, if you can make anything half decent out of that stuff (in 24 hrs no less), you know what you can use it for? Anyone who whines about grid lines on his saucer section, you can beat him over the head with it! (figuratively, of course)

PS I think Nick Sagan wanted you to start a thread about your build over on this board: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/viewforum.php?f=99 Am I correct, that's where we should post those?

Whiteraven_2001

Post by Whiteraven_2001 »

Checking out the parts before venturing on a one-day build is a really good idea. I tried doing something like that on New Year's Day, with a 1973-vintage Pyro dinosaur. I opened the box and started working, and realized that both outer halves of both back legs were short-shots, missing their "toes."

Oh, well... I did learn how to use the sacred Aves to sculpt toes... just took a bit longer than a day. :D