First ODBC Winners!

Take the The One-Day Build Challenge and show your results here.

Moderator: Moderators

Pick the winner of the first One Day Build Challenge!

Poll ended at Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Entry 01 - Klingon Bird of Prey
24%
Entry 02 - Star Blazers Mini
12%
Entry 03 - General Li
65%

Total votes: 17

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

First ODBC Winners!

Post by Lonewolf »

Here are the entries in the first One Day Build Challenge.

Entry 01

Gizmotron 1:2500 Klingon Bird of Prey

Entry 02

Star Blazers Mini Comet Empire Missile Ship

Entry 03

"Prohibition 2212" - Moonshiners in Hazzard Prefecture drive the venerable General Li to outrun the law

Voting will be open for one week, until Tuesday, August 14th. The votes will be tallied, winners announced, and prizes will be shipped within a week (cuz I leave for vacation on the 21st).
Last edited by Lonewolf on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

It takes balls to do a kitbash in a day. :8)
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

And we have winners!

THIRD PLACE
Winner: Ed "Bellerophon" Bailey
Entry: Star Blazers Mini Comet Empire Missile ship
Prize: Choice of an AMT 1:48 Naboo N-1 Starfighter kit (Ziplocked) or an AMT TIE Interceptor (sealed)

SECOND PLACE
Winner: Jose “El Gato” Henriquez
Entry: Gizmotron 1:2500 Klingon Bird of Prey
Prize: $15.00 SSM Store Gift Certificate

FIRST PLACE
Winner: Arvel Perry
Entry: "Prohibition 2212"
Prize: $25.00 SSM Store Gift Certificate

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks for taking part in the One Day Build Challenge. Prizes will be sent out in the next few days, so watch your mailboxes.

We're looking into having another one in the coming months, with some steamlining of the contest rules, and maybe some other donated prizes.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
El Gato
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of the imagination

Post by El Gato »

Yay! Now I can post to say that it was an honor to compete against Arvel and Ed. Your entries were very good really well made. I was telling my friends about them.
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

- Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes"
nicholassagan

Post by nicholassagan »

Way to go guys! Ed, you have a PM!
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

The KBoP is nicely done, but that kitbashed "General Li" is really over the top! Jose and Arvel, great work! I don't mind getting beat by you guys! (This time! :twisted: )

The world needs more modelers, and I've got this nephew who's so crazy into Star Wars, he's made this immense fleet of hand-drawn cut out spaceships--he must have hundreds of TIE fighters. But he hasn't started building models yet, so I'll give him the Naboo starfighter to get him started. I'll post pics of his build.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

To be honest, I thought I was going to come in third. And you're right, that General Li is something else!
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

bigarv65

Post by bigarv65 »

I am honored to take first ahead of two clean and polished entries. Mine is a hack job in comparison. It was a heavy handed build no doubt, but time was indeed at a premium!

I really enjoyed it, it got my building juices flowing (eww), and I relearned a few lessons I had long forgotten. And I didn't superglue myself to myself or anything else. Score!

So maybe I'll do the next one when it comes up or not (I wouldn't want to say in public, lol!) but I don't think I would try something quite like that again. Ah, who am I kidding...

Thanks for the opportunity to come out and play!

Arvel
Insanity takes it's toll. Please have exact change.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

That's kinda the whole point of building something in the 24-hour timeframe. A lot of us, myself included, get bogged down in the details, such as gathering references, scratchbuilding additional details, trying for that "perfect" paint job/decal application. What ends up happening is that we reach the point where NOTHING gets built because we make ourselves think that we're not ready because of [add mind-numbing reason/excuse here].

I learned through participating in the Iron Modeler Challenge at WonderFest that, by placing the time constraints, it makes you focus on building something, having fun with it, and not overthinking it to death. Just build the damn model and enjoy it. Who cares if it isn't perfect . . . it'll take you back to the joy you had building models when you were a kid.

There's a slogan on one of my CoMMiES shirts from a couple years ago that says "Finished is Better Than Perfect!". That works for me in some instances!

Thanks again to the participants, and your builds were fantastic. I'll get the orders placed for the gift certificates tonight, and Bellerophon, please let me know which kit you want (via PM is fine) so I can get that shipment taken care of as well.

So . . . . y'all want to do this again in a couple of months? I'm thinking a deadline sometime around late October/early November. Gotta get some other details fixed/sponsors gathered.

El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Thanks for the kind words, Richard.

I'm down for another try, especially if it's before the madness of the holidays. I'm looking at a couple of kits that might fit the bill...

Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

I promised to show a pic of the results of my prize from the ODBC. Finally, here it is--a pic of my nephew with his Naboo starfighter: http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com ... model.html

He's 11 years old and builds those prepainted snap-togethers that all right-thinking modelers despise. Maybe it would be better if he was smearing glue and paint all over them, like I did when I was 11. On the other hand, he's avoiding the brain damage.

He'll be thrilled when he finally gets my Christmas present (Anakin's Jedi Starfighter). I don't have the heart to tell the kid what I think of the prequels.
Anyhow, this is a first look at his work. I would not be surprised if he's posting his work to SSM in a few years.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/