Magnets

The challenge: build any kind of hover tank without using a tank kit's hull or turret - because nothing saus 'fun' like 70 tons of floating mayhem.

Moderator: Moderators

jowman

Magnets

Post by jowman »

Has anyone tried to use magnets to make there tank hover? I realize that there probably has to be a tether. I am just wondering if there is a way to do it.
Old Wombat

Post by Old Wombat »

Magnets have been used for several builds posted/linked to on this site over the last year or so.

At least one was a Ma.K Falke with a power lead but no tether, as such. The builder used positioning of the magnets to prevent movement.

Unfortunately I can't remember where any of them are now... Sorry :oops:
"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

"This is what happens when you keep fixing it until it's broke." - Ziz.

Lost! Somewhere in WhIf World!
Marco Scheloske

Post by Marco Scheloske »

Old Wombat wrote:The builder used positioning of the magnets to prevent movement.
Without a kind of fastening it is impossible to use simple steady magnets to hold a model in place. You need an electronic magnet to do so.
Greetings from Germany -
"In glue we trust!" - http://technomaniaweb.jimdo.com

Marco
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

I just researched this recently and I believe I read that the levitation is possible with electronic magnets to levitate an object but other magnets need to be used for stabilizing it. Without stabilizing magnets the object will rotate like with the "Levitating Globe" toy that's out there now. The problem is that the electronic magnets need to be placed inside the model and the base it hovers over needs to conceal very strong Neodymium magnets for stabilization. By the way you may need some "Neo's" inside the model as well so they can attract to one another. The electronic magnets needs to push against a metal surface to levitate.
Seriously....I THINK I got that right.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000