Zero-G Led Sled

The challenge: build any kind of hover tank without using a tank kit's hull or turret - because nothing saus 'fun' like 70 tons of floating mayhem.

Moderator: Moderators

Big Hank

Zero-G Led Sled

Post by Big Hank »

Here's a quick sketch of my basic idea for my entry. Had to snap a pic of it, scanner is at my house, but I'm at my girlfriend's house. Ah well. Will get better sketches up as time allows, time to dig through my BoG.

http://s334.photobucket.com/albums/m422 ... 015721.jpg

Basic tank-ish silhouette, maybe a bit more "H" frame. The idea is salvaged technology reverse engineered from crashed alien AI tank drones. We've figured out anti-grav, but pretty much just lift. Propulsion and steering are achieved through conventional systems (small turbo fans, maybe internal combustion) using Harrier-esque thrust vectoring for steering. heavy armor and weaponry coupled with advanced yet not fully understood tech make for constant field breakdowns/repairs.

There will be a nice little backstory to it, told from the driver's/team leader's perspective, which should allow me to get away with not being overly technical about alien technologies! :D

The turret will have the requisite BFG, a remote mini chain gun, and some defensive SAMs, along with communications/radar arrays.
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

Interesting look. Very remeniscent of something i have seen before just cant put my finger on it.

BTW For all interested multi barrel guns are not " Chain Guns" They are miniguns or Vulcan cannons depending on the round size. Chain guns are normally single barrel and chain driven to some extent. All multi barrel weapons that i know of and have worked on are driven by an electric motor, fed linkless ammo and are electrically, or percussion primed.

Just a little tid bit for ya is all.
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?
Big Hank

Post by Big Hank »

You are correct on the chain gun deal, this is more of a "Vulcan " cannon.

I haven't quite nailed the idea on paper, it's been like 3 years since I picked up a pencil.

I do have slightly "Marvel comic/mech-ish/Anime" drawing style (albeit rusty) so you may see some of that influence coming out.
Buzzbomb

Post by Buzzbomb »

Now that looks the business.

Be looking forward to getting some peeks as it gets further together
It's not a toy!.... it's an accurate scale representation of a craft that doesn't actually exist.
Big Hank

Post by Big Hank »

Okay, since I can't get started til the weekend, and my sketching skills are weak, I found a simple free 3-d sketching program to pass the time.

Nice easy program, I was able to do this simple mock up in about a half hour. Imagine what I can do after I read the instructions LOL!

http://s334.photobucket.com/albums/m422 ... ertank.png

At least I can get a better feel for the tank now. In my sketch the hull was too flat and the perspectives were off.

The cylinders will represent the thrust vectoring nozzles. The Anti-grav unit will be in the aft portion of the hull, with 4 lift nozzles in a row running along the bottom of the hull front to back.

The outer portions will be for the propulsion and steering motors, and house the actual "limp home" treads.

I'll be happy to tinker away with this program til the weekend when I get over to the workshop!

:D
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Why so small.... :twisted:
Abolish Alliteration
Big Hank

Post by Big Hank »

Kylwell wrote:Why so small.... :twisted:
LOL! I didn't pay attention to the scale when I was tinkering away. I like the idea of it being Gi-Nor-Mous but in real world terms it will scale out about half the size(ish). I am working on learning how to make ovals and "intersects" with the program now, so maybe I can find a "rescale" command. Hah! It does look mean that size though...... :twisted:
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

Make it a manageable size. At about 1/72 scale that model would not be much larger than your average 1/35 AFV model. Definitely no bigger than the bandai Type 61.
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?