Hover tank challenge

The challenge: build any kind of hover tank without using a tank kit's hull or turret - because nothing saus 'fun' like 70 tons of floating mayhem.

Moderator: Moderators

DOMENECH1776

Post by DOMENECH1776 »

bad post.

bad.
Imagine Greater. I did and I keep coming up with Sci-Fi.
Butters

Post by Butters »

A clarification: Am I to understand that the main body cannot be an existing AFV hull, but other recognizable componants CAN be used?
There is a solution to every problem. Sometimes it's just C4.

Fine. I got an Avatar. Happy?
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

overall yes but the point is to make those bits not as easily recognizeable. Trying to break the floating Merkava or floating Leopard stigma here. So far alot of the other designs have really come through on this.
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?
Butters

Post by Butters »

HWR MKII wrote:overall yes but the point is to make those bits not as easily recognizeable. Trying to break the floating Merkava or floating Leopard stigma here. So far alot of the other designs have really come through on this.
Well, I'n mot trying to sneak in an AFV hull, I just wander if I'll get nailed if theres, say, a recognizable Huey hull under the tank.

NNYGamer

Post by NNYGamer »

I have a few ideas but I'm looking for the right shape for the hulls and collecting all the small parts. One will probably be a standard design, that is a tank loking thing and the other a twist on the idea.
I have no signature.
DOMENECH1776

Post by DOMENECH1776 »

I've got an idea I'm fleshing out, the problem is scale.

I would normally go 1/72, so I could always use it for gaming purposes, but the LHS has some 1/35 scale tanks that have all the right greebles and the Tamiya 1/35 scale German Grenadiers next to them make me want to do a diorama.

What to do, what to do.
DOMENECH1776

Post by DOMENECH1776 »

Double post.
Butters

Post by Butters »

DOMENECH1776 wrote:I've got an idea I'm fleshing out, the problem is scale.

I would normally go 1/72, so I could always use it for gaming purposes, but the LHS has some 1/35 scale tanks that have all the right greebles and the Tamiya 1/35 scale German Grenadiers next to them make me want to do a diorama.

What to do, what to do.
Well, if you've some talent at scratchbuilding, use the 1/35th version for measurements and reference. As to the figures.... I got nothing.

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

As a note, for those of you in search of inspiration or a turret, the shuttle part of the ST Vulcan shuttle would make a nice base to build a turret from.
Abolish Alliteration
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

Kylwell wrote:As a note, for those of you in search of inspiration or a turret, the shuttle part of the ST Vulcan shuttle would make a nice base to build a turret from.
So does the forward pod of the Klingon Battle Cruiser, inverted.
And the whole main hull of the smaller K-7 from the three ship set.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Big Hank

Post by Big Hank »

Hey guys, Can anyone join in?

Sorry I'm late to the party but this sounds like a blast, and I have a few ideas for a hover/anti-grav tank.

If it's cool I'll start a WIP thread after I gather my partsez. :D
bigh827

Post by bigh827 »

Big Hank wrote:Hey guys, Can anyone join in?

Sorry I'm late to the party but this sounds like a blast, and I have a few ideas for a hover/anti-grav tank.

It's open to all comers, the only rule is we shouldn't beable to tell what tank you used as a base if you used a tank model. No hover M-1s.
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Amish Vampires in Space.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.
Groucho Marx
WE ARE THE BORG. YOU SPECIES WILL ADAPT TO SER... Squirrel!!
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

bigh827 wrote:
Big Hank wrote:Hey guys, Can anyone join in?

It's open to all comers, the only rule is we shouldn't beable to tell what tank you used as a base if you used a tank model. No hover M-1s.
No tank models as a base PERIOD. You can use greeblie bits but no hull parts.

Big Hank

Post by Big Hank »

Sounds good! Most likely I'll be scratching the hull anyway. After I do some sketching, I'll start a WIP thread. Great challenge idea!
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

Having almost exclusivly built AFVs I can't help but feel somewhat disadvantaged by the no tank models rule. :cry: I have a ton of greeblies though, I'll see what I can cook up.
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

Patrik wrote:Having almost exclusivly built AFVs I can't help but feel somewhat disadvantaged by the no tank models rule. :cry: I have a ton of greeblies though, I'll see what I can cook up.
No more restricted than i am. Try going to another material. A block of balsa or modeling board to bulk out the dase shape.

Blappy

Post by Blappy »

HWR MKII wrote:
Patrik wrote:Having almost exclusivly built AFVs I can't help but feel somewhat disadvantaged by the no tank models rule. :cry: I have a ton of greeblies though, I'll see what I can cook up.
No more restricted than i am. Try going to another material. A block of balsa or modeling board to bulk out the dase shape.
Look around your local dollar store for an interesting shape. Found shapes are always fun.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Post by Kolschey »

Blappy wrote:
HWR MKII wrote:
Look around your local dollar store for an interesting shape. Found shapes are always fun.
Agreed, Have a look at things like night lights, electric pencil sharpeners, egg timers, computer accessories. If you have a cat, take a look at the cat toy aisle at the local pet store- last I checked they have actual battery powered "Cyber-mouse" toys. I just scored some excellent shapes from an electric can opener this past month. There's a LOT of options out there. :8)
onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Post by onezero »

<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Blappy wrote:Look around your local dollar store for an interesting shape. Found shapes are always fun.
Or a cheap hardware store. Electric palm sanders come in some interesting shapes.
Abolish Alliteration
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Kylwell wrote: Electric palm sanders come in some interesting shapes.
Their good for palm hair removal too? :shock:
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes but only on Canadians.
Abolish Alliteration
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

Thanks for the tips. I went shopping and kept an eye open for hover tank hulls but found nothing but a fresh bottle of oven cleaner for my greeblie pile. I think I'm looking at a scratch build.
Cenebar

Post by Cenebar »

Just curious...how many SSMers have enrolled in this challenge?
Old Wombat

Post by Old Wombat »

I haven't enlisted - but I'll do one when I get a chance! :wink:
"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

"This is what happens when you keep fixing it until it's broke." - Ziz.

Lost! Somewhere in WhIf World!
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Given that there was no real deadline makes it my kind of contest :D

Enlisted? No, not until I actually start cutting plastic.

Build plans? Heck yeah - the Paul Alexander rendition of a Slammer's hovertank, the Imperial and Zhodani grav tanks from Traveller... plans and ideas are*easy* but actually sitting down and building them, now that's a bit harder!
________
Joe Brown
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

While I am familiar with the UK group that is genuinely authorized by David Drake to do gaming mini's of his tanks, they lack the punch of Paul Alexander's cover art. In my opinion, that is. :8)

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23098318

The authorized Slammer's vehicles:
http://www.hammers-slammers.com/picture_index.htm

So when I actually get my thumb out and build, it'll be from the cover art, and not the 'canon' text descriptions.
________
Joe Brown
mike robel

Post by mike robel »

While I like tanks with long barrels, Dave's conception of his tanks is a short barrelled thing like an M60A2 "Starship" or and M551 Sheridan. The theory being that the light-speed like bolt does not need a long barrel to provide guidence to the projectile.
Buzzbomb

Post by Buzzbomb »

mike robel wrote:While I like tanks with long barrels, Dave's conception of his tanks is a short barrelled thing like an M60A2 "Starship" or and M551 Sheridan. The theory being that the light-speed like bolt does not need a long barrel to provide guidence to the projectile.
I tend to agree as that is how I envisioned the Hammers Slammers weapons, except the tri-barrels.. for some reason I see them as longer

For all this sort of thing if often becomes a personal "vision" of the type of weapon.
For a Energy type weapon.. short would work.

For a Rail gun type.. then some measure of length would seem appropriate.
For the record.. the build I have started on is planned to have a stumpy type energy gun for a change.
Normally I tend towards the rail type gun, just for sheer looks
It's not a toy!.... it's an accurate scale representation of a craft that doesn't actually exist.
bigh827

Post by bigh827 »

I'v got a couple of ideas but makeing my self build any thing is the problem.
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Amish Vampires in Space.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.
Groucho Marx
WE ARE THE BORG. YOU SPECIES WILL ADAPT TO SER... Squirrel!!