Can a reticle be put on an LED camera screen?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

KLINGON CAV

Can a reticle be put on an LED camera screen?

Post by KLINGON CAV »

I am wondering if a video camera's view screen assembly can be used in a prop.How would a person adapt a smaller camera system and display a reticle on the LED screen?
Duj meQ!
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

I bought some of the static cling transparency film at Staples and made a reticle for my camera's display so I'd have all the video/title/action safe areas readily visible. I'm sure that would work just fine for you.
Rather Fail with Honor, than Succeed by Fraud - Sophocles

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.
KLINGON CAV

Post by KLINGON CAV »

Ok now where do you suppose I can acquire the view finder components from a video camera?
Duj meQ!
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

How about a cheap mini video player? I bought one with a 1.5" screen at the drug store for $25 - USB and onboard batteries and memory. You should be able to find one on EBay.

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.
KLINGON CAV

Post by KLINGON CAV »

Can these be programmed with varying fonts?
Duj meQ!
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

How about using a cheap key chain sized flat screen digital photo "picture frame"? Or maybe not so key-chain size.

Make all your reticles and data displays in your handy full sized computer, then down load 'em into the "picture frame". Use any fonts you like - use a global font change in your compooter to change font type in each active display frame original.

Display 'em as you need them then.
Where there's a Will....there's Probate.
KLINGON CAV

Post by KLINGON CAV »

I want the system to operate with a miniature camera to act as a targeting aid for a prop.
I know where to buy replacement miniature LED view finder screens now how do I wire them to a small camera? The clear film idea is a good one.Now if I can just figure out how to make it show everything in alien fonts.I need a schematic I would think.possibly a program of some type.These are what I am asking about.
Duj meQ!
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

It sounds like your best best is to butcher a cheap video camera and scavenge the CCD and display. You can probably find a used one EBay.

I understand that there are several inexpensive and/or free graphics programs that will let you make the reticle design and print to the clear film. Don't know what or where to find them as I don't use them, but someone else can probably clue you in on that.

KLINGON CAV

Post by KLINGON CAV »

I can get all the hardware I have photoshop(painfully learning it) how do I input that program onto the system?
Duj meQ!
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Are you talking about hacking the camera's OS so that it displays the fonts and other visuals internally on the screen?

-Rog
KLINGON CAV

Post by KLINGON CAV »

I haven't the tech savy to know how to answer your question so I guess I would say yes.By any means.
Duj meQ!
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I think I understand what you're wanting.

Hmm... I'm not sure I would even attempt this unless I could get a PDA that I could load Linux on and use that for the "display" bit. Then use a small web cam to pick up the visual signal to be displayed on it.

BUT you definitely DO need some tech savvy to even be able to do that, or at least have a very nice friend who does. You would probably just need to modify an open-source program that would display the web cam's image along with your fonts and whatever HUD you want. Most PDAs would be able to interface with the web cam, so no hardware modifications would be needed.

As complex as that sounds, I'm sure it's way easier than try to hack a camera's (likely proprietary) operating system. If you found a camera that ran off of Linux, UNIX, or even Windows, that would be different, but I'm not aware of any camera that has that level of required complexity.

So I would start thinking of the PDA direction or else go the super easy way and do a printed overlay as has been mentioned.

There are definitely weapons that have this technology already, but that's going the easy but expensive route to get the video system from one of them. Might be worth talking to your local surplus store though if you really really want one but don't want a masters in electronics...

-Rog
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

I'm no expert, but my guess is that short of getting a degree in video electronics, your best bet is to put a non-changing readout info the static cling film.

Compositing video on the fly is extremely difficult and I'm not sure it's possible to find something off-the-shelf that will a) fit in your prop and b) run on battery power.