HOW MUCH?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

TooOld4This

HOW MUCH?

Post by TooOld4This »

I asked for advice regarding lighting my Anigrand SD, from someone on therpf, who had built up a beautiful lit Anigrand SD, he suggested I talk to Randy Neubert at www.voodoofx.com.

I did so, basically asking for 3 main-engine lights, 4 small engine lights, and maybe a dozen more leds to light the fibre bundles I already had, and a controller board and battery compartment.

In my mind, I was thinking $50, I know electronics, and leds etc are dirt cheap

The actual quote?
$500

?????!!!!!????? WAH????

No, seriously, how is that even possible?

Can anyone steer me towards an alternative that won't charge such an outrageous fee?
Matty1973

Re: HOW MUCH?

Post by Matty1973 »

What was the controller going to do? Make you coffee? Perhaps make it fly?

Seriously unless you want flashing lights and fading effects that basic circuit should only be $50 max
Check out my Borg Enhanced Voyager
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKaMTm4Lvmk
G-man

Post by G-man »

ToOldForThis
Contact Robiwon on these forums, and RPF, adn a few others
tell him i sent you, He will fix you up i am sure for a very fair price.

PM Me when you contact him adn i'll call him and make sure he checks the PM's so you don't have to wait a while to hear back ( he's on sabattical right now)

George
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

George, I don't know what your talking about. I don't know anything about lighting a Star Destroyer.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1168773829 ... stroyerWIP#

Too Old, PM incoming. :D
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
Ant

Post by Ant »

Depends what the controller has to do, and if you are looking for a completely bespoke design.

You're probably looking at $10-$20 of cost-price parts max - but if you have to factor in someones hourly rate to design and build a controller, then that's probably a couple of days labor. What would a garage charge for for that much on a car?

However if all you need is a dozen LEDs lit statically (i.e. no animations, fadings or flickering) anyone competant should be able to do that in an hour or so.

It would definitely pay to shop around
Ant
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

Ant wrote: You're probably looking at $10-$20 of cost-price parts max - but if you have to factor in someones hourly rate to design and build a controller, then that's probably a couple of days labor. What would a garage charge for for that much on a car?
And that's the long and short of it. In Randy's defense, he does pro FX work, and expects (rightly so) to be compensated accordingly. He also stands behind his work unfailingly - even if the issue is something not his fault, like an assembly error (A lot of his products are "some assembly required"). When I bolluxed up one of his more expensive lightkits by doing something stupid, he not only replaced the controller I toasted, but wired the lights in that I had managed to mangle - and did it for free, when he had every right to charge me for a replacement. You want the best, you gotta pay for it...
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

I don't have anything against any of the major lighting kit suppliers here as they provide a great prooduct for those who don't have the time, skill or even the gumption, to build a lighting system themselves. I will say that building a simple lighting system for a model is not rocket science. There are plenty of online resources for the beginner to learn the basics of lighting a model.

Special effects in lighting systems do require more skill and components and therefore will cost more. Torpedo effects, strobing, flickers, etc. will need a controller of some sort. But, to be honest, $500 for lighting 19 LEDs is a bit out there.

I can build a reliable set up, with a power supply for $50. That's $25 for the power supply, about $5 for supplies, and $20 for my time at the soldering station. I don't do this to make a living or as a buisness so I am not into for the money, I do it for a few people here and there to help out my fellow modelers.

I also stand behind my work as well, no questions asked. :8)
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Well I *am* one of those pro model kit suppliers and I have to say two things about this:

For a complete custom job that requires real engineering time including laying out a printed circuit board and cutting it somehow, then $500 is cheap.

What really surprised me is that Randy didnt have something to do this off the shelf as a collection of standard parts.

You want to light 19 LEDs? OK. Buy my Delux-24 base kit for $60, use the 12 LEDs in it or add your own for a few $$ and buy a switch and battery pack at Radio Shack for a few $$ more. You'll need two 9V battery clips or an 18VDC wall wort and whatever LEDs you like since my card can drive ANY LED that runs on 20mA which is most of the regular sized 3mm and 5mm ones.

Total cost for the job with my rig, about $150 if you have me do it, less if you get your own extras.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

I don't want to step on the toes of the pro lighters so I withdraw my offer and services.

Thanks.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Which is also why I cheat and use battery powered LED Christmas lights.
Abolish Alliteration
G-man

Post by G-man »

Personally Robi,
I don't think you are stepping on anyone's toes. you are catering to a different niche then Madman or the like are catering to.
Simple as that.

Same difference as this below.
Am i stepping on Scott Spicer, or Al Wong's or any her pattern makers toes, By making patterns myself?

My two cents

George
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

robiwon wrote:I don't want to step on the toes of the pro lighters so I withdraw my offer and services.

Thanks.

You didn't step on my toes and I'm not offended. I guess things are a bit different when you're trying to run a biz instead of helping a friend out.

No harm, no foul. Stay cool. :8)
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine