Drill Bits

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

csquare

Drill Bits

Post by csquare »

I'm in the middle of drilling holes for fiber optics. I was using a #81 microbit but I finally broke it. It came in a set with other size drill bits, but I need several #81 drill bits...does anyone out there know a place where I can purchase several of these without buying a whole set of different size bits? Thanks!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Widget Supply has No.80s, tiny bit larger than a 81.
Abolish Alliteration
csquare

Post by csquare »

Good enough...thank you very much.
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

My local HobbyTown sells microbits separately in tubes. You can by a whole tube or take out however many you need.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

SSM was selling several sizes of micro-drill bits at the table during Wonderfest. I know there were lots left because I helped to pack them up when the show was over. They don't appear to be in the store but I'll bet if you email of PM Linda, she can hook you up with what you need.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
zysurge

Post by zysurge »

Tchail

Post by Tchail »

Kylwell wrote:Widget Supply has No.80s, tiny bit larger than a 81.
I'll second the suggestion about Widget Supply.

I've always had a good experience dealing with them.

As for MicroMark, I try to avoid dealing with them because their shipping charges are on the high side (e.g., they'll charge you $10 shipping for a set of #80 drill bits that retail for $2.50).

My 2 1/2 cents,

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

Unless you know the LHS inside & out, it pays to ask. You might be surprised about what else they carry, but isn't obvious. I asked about micro-drill bits at one store, and to my surprise, discovered they did indeed sell individual drill bits. The organizer for the drill bits was, maybe no surprise here, was quite small, so its possible for a store to stock such items and keep it all but hidden from view.