Galaxy Quest Protector - lighting options?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

generalFROSTY

Galaxy Quest Protector - lighting options?

Post by generalFROSTY »

I asked my local hobby shop to order the Galaxy Quest 'Protector' kit by Pegasus and I was curious to know what ready-to-install lighting kit options were out there (if any).
I want to keep it simple and sweet - engine lights and window lights and was hoping that there is a pre-existing kit out there so I don't have to commision someone to do it from scratch.
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

To my knowledge, there is no Protector lighting kit. You could modify an existing premade set up for another kit. Mine is on the back burner while I work on my Ani Star Destroyer. I plan to use 4 white LEDs for the interior, 2 5mm and 2 3mm blue LEDs for the engines, two 3mm red LEDs for the bussard collectors (?) and a 3mm yellow LED with FO for the nav. lights.
generalFROSTY

Post by generalFROSTY »

I'm going to commision this to be built for me. Hopefully, whomever does the build can offer kits to anyone else looking to light this kit.
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Check this out

This one might be more than you need but the engine effect would be cool.

These lighting kits are drop dead easy to use.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
generalFROSTY

Post by generalFROSTY »

Voodoo FX is apparently working on one, but no info on thier site yet. I sent them an email asking about it....hopefully I can get one sooner rather than later.
merkin63
Location: Hooterville,KY Where the men are men and the sheep are afraid!

Post by merkin63 »

I'm going with fiber optics but the detachable command ship will be a major pain to clean out the rectangular shaped windows due to the stepping effect of the kit not to mention having to remove quite a bit of the interior including the magnet mounts so the light would even show through evenly.I was just going to light a few of the rectangular shaped windows but ended up cutting too deep and had to get a replacement part.I was gong to leave the bottom off of the detachable bridge command ship and glue it directly to the hull but ended up just making a mold and casted the whole piece in clear resin almost as thin as a vacuformed one.I've put the kit on hold because Acreation models is going to be releasing a set of aztecing decals for the Protector very soon,and yes,the Protector did have aztecing if you look at it pulling out of drydock,it would not have been cost effective for Pegasus to cast the Command ship section in clear just for one part when the other clear parts were molded in transparent blue because I asked.I just have a thin clear resin piece with no mounting pins or holders for the magnets and will glue it directly to the hull and light with pure white leds.This was much easier than drilling out the rectangle windows and thinning from the inside and using a small file to get them square on the edges.I figured some aftermarket company would have made this part in clear but got impatient and made my own.Good luck!
CALL of DUTY: MW 20, The V.A.Nursing Home!