Galaxy Quest Vox lighting plasma transparencies

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

merkin63
Location: Hooterville,KY Where the men are men and the sheep are afraid!

Galaxy Quest Vox lighting plasma transparencies

Post by merkin63 »

I was wondering if anyone knew of a sorce to obtain the transparencies used in the hero props.I have seen pics and they are awesome.I think Voodoo efx. will be using them but I did not want a whole lighting kit,just the plasma transparency.Thanks for any help.
CALL of DUTY: MW 20, The V.A.Nursing Home!
swhite228

Post by swhite228 »

The hero prop used a small lumiglass display kinda like the ones you see at Spencer Gifts or outside dance clubs, not a transparency.
The one Redshirt used with his vox kit was a photoshop of the real disks displays. That is what was given to VoodoFx to use in their kit.

You can Google "plasma disk" or "lumiglass " and find pictures of the displays in action.

Simply save one of the pictures, print it to the size you need and cut it out for us in the model. You could also photoshop the active displays onto a picture of a non powered disk which would give you the darker dots on the glass as well as the effect!
merkin63
Location: Hooterville,KY Where the men are men and the sheep are afraid!

Post by merkin63 »

I ordered a 2.5 inch display size blue plasma disc powered by 2 AAA batt.I'm going to try to take it apart to make it fit but am not holding my breath.I will probably just do as you say and have some transparencies made of a plasma disc that have been reduced in size so I can install random firing blue or white leds.Thanks for the idea.
CALL of DUTY: MW 20, The V.A.Nursing Home!