Anybody know anything about light sheet?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

JohnnySpud

Anybody know anything about light sheet?

Post by JohnnySpud »

How do you use it? where can I get it? Can it be cut to the desired shape/ size? UGH!
Isn't it worth the loss of a hand to create the man of the future, the Machine-Man?!
ModelMan

Post by ModelMan »

I used it as a ceiling light in a galileo 7 kit and will be using it in a M Falcon cockpit.

I found mine on ebay, but if you hunt around for EL wire, EL sheet and EL ribbon, you will find it at other places.

EL Sheet is brighter than EL Ribbon by a lot and similar to EL Wire. Sheet can be cut to shape, but don't touch the edges! They are live! Using the scraps for other projects is very difficult. It is a couple layers of paper thin material sandwiched in paper thin plastic. So to wire a scrap piece you have to slit in between those paper thin slices and solder wire in there. Very tough. You also need an inverter for each piece, so that can get expensive.

The stuff ain't cheap, but it does stuff no other lighting source can do.

Here's a link to how I used it in the Galileo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkOQkaN9 ... 5D&index=9

The playlist on the right of that page will have more scattered talk throughout. The last video has it fully lit and sealed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwbqaiU1 ... D&index=17

It's fun stuff. Expensive, but fun. It's the only option in many cases.
-t
Warped Speedster

Post by Warped Speedster »

I got some 1"x5" EL Strips from All Electronics. (Good store) http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... ips/1.html

Inverter. http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... IPS/1.html

They are white when not energized but glow sort of a bright aqua blue when lit. I haven't had the need to cut any of the strips yet but I guess they can be cut. They also bend very easily. They're a pretty handy size to use for scratchbuilding.

Actually, you really don't need an inverter for each light strip but the more strips you use the more load it puts on the inverter so you may notice a drop in brightness if you use too many strips, even if the inverter is rated for that load.

Although I do suggest using the inverter with these strips you can also connect the strip leads directly to 120 volts AC if you don't want to use an inverter. These strips are usually connected to a power source in a "parallel" hook up, but you can also connect two strips in "series" using the inverter, or with 120 volt house current. They will glow a little dimmer connected in series but will last much, much longer that way, if that's a concern.

Note: Three strips in connected in series will not work, as far as I've tried.

USE EXTREME CAUTION; I don't suggest anyone ever using house hold AC voltage to opperate these strips unless you're very familiar with higher voltages and alternating current. You can blow up your model and, or, yourself if not careful.
Did I just see a Ford fly by?
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Being Seen is another site that sells EL sheet. I've never purchased from them, but only because I haven't needed anything lately.

They have sheet, ribbon (Flatlite) and string (Cable) in several colors each. The Flatlite page also lists the converter sizes. Generally, you add up the total square inches of how much sheet/ribbon you're using, then get a converter that can handle that amount.

It's not difficult to work with, you just need to be extra careful with your connections. Make sure everything is sealed and insulated.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by b5ranger99 »

I have picked my sheets up at model railroad shops. The RR hobbyists use it for billboards, street signs, and building lights.

Great stuff.

I have never been able to successfully make new connections to a sheet.
That isn't to say it can't be done.
"When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be."
Dukhat, Babylon 5

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
Lewis Carroll
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Ziz wrote:Being Seen is another site that sells EL sheet. I've never purchased from them, but only because I haven't needed anything lately.

They have sheet, ribbon (Flatlite) and string (Cable) in several colors each. The Flatlite page also lists the converter sizes. Generally, you add up the total square inches of how much sheet/ribbon you're using, then get a converter that can handle that amount.

It's not difficult to work with, you just need to be extra careful with your connections. Make sure everything is sealed and insulated.
If only their online store worked....
Abolish Alliteration
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

This is cool stuff! I had never even heard of it before...... :)
* Joyously Celebrating the Mysteries of Chocolate
*Artistically Whimsical
erredois

Post by erredois »

I was planning to use in my Falcon cockpit, but after some tests I found its brightness too weak, unusable to me. Would work only in darkness. As bright as those Indiglo wristwatches.
I ended up using LEDs instead, with better results.
Erredois
JohnnySpud

Post by JohnnySpud »

Well, WarpeD just sold me one of those really nice Orion III spaceplanes, and with such a lovely interior it would be a shame NOT to light it. The problem lies in the fact that it must be modified to be lit, as it is amazingly not engineered to be. Any suggestions from anyone else who owns one?
Isn't it worth the loss of a hand to create the man of the future, the Machine-Man?!
bigh827

Post by bigh827 »

There use to be adds for this stuff in my modeling mags, then nothing. From what I've seen here and other places it does the trick, and can be formed in to some very tight spaces.
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Amish Vampires in Space.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.
Groucho Marx
WE ARE THE BORG. YOU SPECIES WILL ADAPT TO SER... Squirrel!!
WarpeD

Post by WarpeD »

Having seen the parts in question first hand....I'd just run a narrow strip of lightsheet down the middle of the passenger cabin ceiling. For the cockpit, a single red or blue LED mounted in the location of the instrument panel would do the trick for the cockpit. It's hard to see inside them bitty windows, and I know you could never see the one in the cockpit, and to see the ceiling of the passenger cabin you'd probably have to be able to look through the wings. Maybe carve a very shallow trench in the ceiling to accomodate the thickness of the lightsheet. They sell that stuff in lots of sizes too, and all you'd need would be one that's originally intended as a backlight for lettering on an instrument panel.
JohnnySpud

Post by JohnnySpud »

Too bad that flatlite stuff only comes in big rolls, I only need about 3 or 4 inches worth. Maybe LEDs would be better after all, WarpeD is right, there is NO way you can see the ceiling in that thing which is a real shame if you ask me because it looks EXACTLY like the movie in there! It seems like one could make a nice cutaway with this Stargazer kit to show off the interior, but where's the fun in that? :P
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

JohnnySpud wrote:Too bad that flatlite stuff only comes in big rolls, I only need about 3 or 4 inches worth.
It doesn't only come in big rolls, it says "Lengths Up to 300' long". You tell them how much you need and they cut it to length.

Yes, their online store seems to be down but the phone number still works.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by jdwaggoner »

Gil at Just An Illusion uses it for his big Seaview and big Flying Sub lighting kits. I remember reading someplace that he can provide other sizes and shapes as well.

http://www.needfulthings.net/jai/catalog/index.php

Jeff
scottgirvan

Post by scottgirvan »

This looks like a good spot to ask this.

I will soon be building some hanger equipment and I want to backlight some diagnostic display screens. Basically I'm designing some graphics, printing on clear acetate (for overhead projectors) and I want to backlight it.

LEDs in a box give me a hotspot. I assume EL sheet was born for this type of project but just want to be sure before I spend the $30.

Thanks for the help.
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Yep, that's what it's for. Depending where you get it and the way it's designed, you may have to build your consoles to have the screen area recessed a bit so that you can have framing space to hide the wiring connector. Don't do any major design/construction on your consoles until you have your EL sheet product in hand and can see how it needs to orient itself.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

Post by paraclete1 »

Has anyone here used Lightsheets to light the inside of the Galatica landing bays? If so, is it possible to cut one sheet in such a way as to light both bays or do you have to light each bay separately? If it's the latter, do you need another power supply?

I'm talking the old Battlestar, not the new one.
Don "Let me buy just one more, then I'll quit... I promise!" Pugh
scottgirvan

Post by scottgirvan »

Ziz, thank you sir.
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

para - you just use two sheets, one in each bay, and then wire them in parallel through the body.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

Location: "Fracking? Not in my back yard. Now get off my ranch!

Post by DLMatthys »

OK for the record LightSheet is a brand name only when my good friend Mike Emory ran it. Unfortunately LightSheet is long time been out of business. Miss ya Mike! It looks like Being Seen is gone with the Dodo birds as well.

So all that kinda stuff is really named Electroluminescent Lamp...
Let's just call it EL Lamp.

My current source for EL Lamps is now at Miller Engineering.
http://www.microstru.com/Experimenter-Kits.html
I like to use the largest sheet he stocks 4" x 6" #4601 (scroll to the bottom.) The user can cut it to shape, curve it and bend it to a point. Don't fold or crease it or the phosferent compound will break and short out within the laminate sheet and keep it dry.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30727025@N ... 1577581472
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30727025@N ... 577581472/

I do want to use bigger sheets... I keep searching for it or just might throw some money at a EL Lamps fabricator and then resell it. Buy the sheet or cut out by laser to fit to Trek kits. My specs demands it to work around 4.5 to 6 volts. I use JKL inverters that take in 5 volts with a 60 volt AC out put... and yes... they can be a little shocking!
DL Matthys
don@dlmparts.com
http://www.dlmparts.com
Make it Glow!
Gilusions

Post by Gilusions »

If you like I can cut it to any size from 1/4" wide to 39" up to 1800' I am a carter partner with the company so if there is any interest let me know
bigh827

Post by bigh827 »

Gilusions wrote:If you like I can cut it to any size from 1/4" wide to 39" up to 1800' I am a carter partner with the company so if there is any interest let me know
1,800 feet, that's a lot of light sheet. :shock:
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Amish Vampires in Space.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.
Groucho Marx
WE ARE THE BORG. YOU SPECIES WILL ADAPT TO SER... Squirrel!!
Ramsayman

Post by Ramsayman »

Been looking for this stuff, great thread!