eye damaging bright LEDs

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Gonzowerke

eye damaging bright LEDs

Post by Gonzowerke »

Yeah, eye damaging bright is not an exaggeration. I have a lightsaber from ultrasabers.com that uses a Luxeon LED. My particular one is a tri color one,(RGB), but they come in all sorts of colors. With the blade off it will light a dark room no problem. looking directly at it hurts more than the sun(don't ask!)

I'm thinking of using these for interior lighting and driving fiber.

Just thought I'd pass it on.......

http://www.luxeonstar.com/
"What's Gonzo like? He's like Einstein, only evil!"
-Chris Palmer

"I don't like this ship! It's not fun!"
- Me, on the STVI enterprise kit
fsgray

Post by fsgray »

Sounds like that would be unrealistically bright. Even regular LEDs need to be toned down for realism, even for fiber optics.
The Arbiter
Location: Lynchburg VA, USA, Earth, Sol System - Sector 001, Grid 165, Milky Way Galaxy, Species 5618

Post by The Arbiter »

That sounds like an excellent source of engine light. Put one of the Sun bright LEDs in your Star Destroyer's engine bells and viola!
"Is this a beer I see before me, the bottle toward my hand? Come, let me drink thee. I have thee not, and yet I taste thee still... art thou not, tasty vision, sensible, to taste-buds as to sight?" - Shakesbeer
Gonzowerke

Post by Gonzowerke »

Or for interiors.Why use a hundred leds in your 1/350 ship when just a few will do?
"What's Gonzo like? He's like Einstein, only evil!"
-Chris Palmer

"I don't like this ship! It's not fun!"
- Me, on the STVI enterprise kit
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

A note here: Luxeon LumiLEDs and CREE 1 watt LEDs do put out a bit of heat - that's why they come on heat sinks. (Usually.) You may want to try your lighting set up out of the model, and check for heat build up before embedding those 1 Watt plus LEDs into anything.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Gonzowerke wrote:Or for interiors.Why use a hundred leds in your 1/350 ship when just a few will do?
Alternatively, you could theoretically light a 1:2500 TOS Enterprise with four of these.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Luxeon LEDs are really neat, I build demo cards to show off our parts that drive them at work.

Just be careful, they do get hot!
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine