Madman Lighting Kits

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

brt

Post by brt »

Slarti wrote:Hey BTR...what' happened to the links you had out?

Madman...thanks for the info.
PM sent...
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

We have several new kits since our last post.

Runway Lighting Kit: General purpose runway FX kit. Features a standard runway pattern in either white or blue LEDs, two sizes of fiber so it works for any scale, and an alternate mode where three lights are on steady and the fourth is a slow red warning strobe.

Big Ass Lighting FX: For lighting the huge rear engines on very large scale models, like Randy Cooper's Star Destroyers and very large scale Federation Starships. Features a subtle pulsation FX with 24 bright white LEDs. Booster packs in other colors also available.

Battlestar Pegasus kit: For the Moebius Pegasus. Features EIGHT high brightness blue LEDs, one for each engine pod and plenty of fiber optics for all the ship windows.

New USS Enterprise Kit: For the Revell Germany Enterprise. Our biggest and most complex kit ever. Lights absolutely everything and works with the Paragrafix engine nacelle blades. Features a push button to ramp the warp engines from "impulse" to "warp speed"

Thanks!
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Madman Lighting

I have some eye candy for people:

Keith Sullivan used my New Enterprise lighting kit and Paragrafix photo-etch on his JJ-Prise to come up with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP_GQIi ... e=youtu.be

Very, very nice work. Thanks Keith!
Major-B

Mad Man Lighting Kit for SBY Wave motion Gun

Post by Major-B »

Mad Man,
You have great products... After doing a lot of research I will be purchasing your Wave Motion kit for the new bandai 1/500 SBY 2199. One quick question I am new to LED and read your instructions for the kit. Can the push button on the controller be replaced to a button like is used to fire the wave motion gun. My goal is to display it for a show on a stand with two buttons one for firing the wave motion and one for turning on the lighting for engines and bridges.. Thanks not sure if you answered this question before...
Thanks
Madman Lighting

Yes, you can definitely do that.

The push button is a very simple, on-momentary type.

You would also want an off-on switch type button for power.

Thanks!
Madman Lighting

I have a new video for everyone.

This is a basic how-to tutorial video that explains how to use the Wall Power Supply kit, connect power to the Delux-24 controller, connect LEDs to the controller by wire-wrapping them, and how to trim the leads short and properly insulate them.

Here it is on YouTube: http://youtu.be/InouIssFkIU

(Apologies for the auto-focus problems!)
Major-B

SBY wave motion kit...

Post by Major-B »

Thanks...on the control board how would make the changes you suggested.
Madman Lighting

Madman Lighting is on Facebook now and I've posted a number of photos of my own work and several customer's work.

Really nice eye candy.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MadMan-L ... tos_stream

Thanks.
Madman Lighting

A customer had a question today about using the Remote Control feature on our kits. Madman Lighting kits that have a triggerable special FX can now be triggered by push button and a TV Remote Control. This is for firing weapons, changing from Impulse to Warp speed, etc. Annnd... the answer is:

Virtually any universal TV remote control will work. I have one from Wal-Mart and I tested it with over a dozen make /model combinations and they all worked. If you're having trouble, an NEC TV code works best.

The way to test is to hook up power to the controller card and look at the small green light near the push button. When you are pressing any remote control button, that light should flicker and that will trigger the special effect.

Thanks!
Major-B

Re-issue of the AMT UFO/ Lief Erickson

Post by Major-B »

Is their a specific lighting kit for this re-issue kit? I am looking for engine, general lighting and forward sensor array instead of Phaser?
Monari

Post by Monari »

Hi Madman - i'm interested in your JJprise lighting kit - I had a question regarding the Bussard leds - is there any way to make the leds "rotate" in a smoother fashion? How much control would someone have over the speed and display properties of that particular piece?
Madman Lighting

Re: Madman Lighting Kits

For those that don't know yet, Madman Lighting has been sold to TenaControls as of February 2018.

Its interesting to me to look back on my old posts and see how things have changed in the 12 years since I started. Back then, Social Media was boards like this, Facebook, Twitter, etc all didn't exist yet. My advertising was by word-of-mouth on boards like this and it worked. Back in 2000 this board was much more active and our fearless leader posted new pics of people's models every week or so. Back then, sci-fi was for those "weird guys" at the local IPMS shows, looked down on by "serious modelers" building WWII tanks and planes. Now sci-fi is mainstream at IPMS shows, since us guys in our 50s grew up watching it.

Thank you very much to all the people here who helped make Madman Lighting possible by supporting it, to John and Linda Lester for creating this site and forum and letting all of us use it. I'm proud to have created something that was well received for so long and happy that people found it useful. The time has come for me to move on with my personal interests and do something different for a while.

Good luck and safe journeys to you all.

-John Cook