LED duration

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

TB2

LED duration

Post by TB2 »

I have Bandai's 1/35 Batmobile (Batman Forever) which lights up with a single blue LED. I plan to enter this in contests, so I'd like to have the LED on for at least three hours during judging, preferably about six in total over the duration of each contest. It's powered by three 1.5 V watch batteries; how long can I safely leave it on before it fades/dies? Would heat be a concern over a few hours? It's enclosed in the model but I believe there's some "breathing room" there. Thanks.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

That depends on just which watch batteries you are using. To get an idea of how long they SHOULD last, take the Amp Hour rating given for one battery, and divide it by 0.020. That's the AH rating of the battery (if given) divided it by the current drain of the LED which should be 0.020 Amps or 20 mA.

If you can't find the AH rating of the batteries, you can use the old "Turn it on and see when it dies" method.

HTH
3D-builder

Post by 3D-builder »

Can you fit 1 AA 1.5 volt battery in your car or base if it has one? You won't have any heat issues with the LED there is no filliment in there, they draw no real forward voltage.Part of the reason they last so long ,you could power one LED probably for days with a bigger cell like a AA just don't forget your resistor because your LED will be working off miliamps.Hope some of this helps,
Regards,

Michael
paraclete1

Post by paraclete1 »

I modified my B-9 LIS robot with LEDs (in parallel) and 2 AA batteries, and it lasted several days. One of the LED's flashed and while it wasn't very bright, it flashed for over a year from the same batteries. I didn't use a resistor either and it didn't overheat the LEDs. However, it most likely shortened the life of the LEDs. But for my experiences, LEDs and batteries have worked fine for most of my modeling needs.

Now, having said all that, I have had some LED's heat up to the point of burning my fingers. So be careful when working with them.

Don
Don "Let me buy just one more, then I'll quit... I promise!" Pugh
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

The trick allowing you to run a led off of a battery with no resistor works because the battery has an internal resistance. That varies with the battery. Do NOT try this with an AC adapter ... unless you like to see leds get very hot and/or explode. I mean that literally.
paraclete1

Post by paraclete1 »

I've run LED's off AC adapters as well with no noticable problems, but it was for a short duration. It probably is still a good idea to use a resistor. But now my curiosity is up so maybe I'll do some experimenting... in a Fire Proof Location :D
Don "Let me buy just one more, then I'll quit... I promise!" Pugh