PCB design

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

chiver

PCB design

Post by chiver »

I was hoping someone can make some(50) blank printed pcb's. I don't know how to lay one out and do not have the means to make them. It would be for a 555 flasher cct. I have all the components just not a board
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
NX-17000

Re: PCB design

Post by NX-17000 »

For modeling purposes, I generally just use a large prototype board like this one, solder the circuit to it, and then cut it down to size afterwards. It's not pretty, but it's not visible in the model and it's generally cheaper to make 10-15 small circuits on a large board than to buy small prototyping boards for each. If you have the circuit diagram and a soldering iron it's fairly easy.

If you're looking for actual specially designed PCBs, I'd suggest looking to Madman or one of the other lighting system people. Given the type of circuit you're looking for, I'm sure that someone must have done something like that already. All else fails, I could CAD up the circuit for you and direct you to the PCB manufacturer I've used for my academic work if you wanted. Based on their online calculator, it'd probably be 50-60$ for the 50 PCBs and shipping.
chiver

Post by chiver »

Iveverything tried using those boards I understand how a 555 timer works for examale and know what to connect to what pin. But I have no means or skill to design a board and use it.

I ate muted many years ago to solder my own together. Using a 9 volt battery ( which the 555 should have been able to handel) I put it together tested it and it went well. Put in storage for the project, when it came time to use it however it blew out every led I put on it and eventually fried the timer

Not pretty but this was my atempt with out a board
http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r52 ... sfnpwj.jpg

It worked and nothing was touching that shouldn't have touched. So a friend in England sent me a small cct card that was installed into a model. Unfortunately he has passed away so I can't ask for anymore.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

So I assume what you do is place the 555 chip onto the PCB, bend the legs on the other side, insert the resistors, capacitors, etc into the holes and have them touching each other, and then solder them into place. Right?
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
chiver

Post by chiver »

Well I was hoping to get someone who can put traces onto it..just a generic pater for an A-stable flash ( like a strobe) I have component's to be able to make different flash rates
brt

Post by brt »

Failing that, you could use a small breadboard, 170 points/ties at a size:1.85*1.38*0.33inches.

I kept thinking and how about this? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12702

A solder-able breadboard.
“Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
― William Goldman
chiver

Post by chiver »

I might look at giving that a try. Thanks
Ant

Post by Ant »

PM'd
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

If you're making 50 of these it may very well be worth making PCBs rather than using generic breadboards. I've created some PCBs for my own use, currently I use a program called "kicad" and my boards are fabricated (in small quantities) by OSH Park.

If you're making 50 of them it may also be better to use a microcontroller rather than a 555. Fewer components to solder onto each of 50 PCBs.
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.