Connecting Circuits (boards) to the same Power Supply

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Darkowski

Connecting Circuits (boards) to the same Power Supply

Post by Darkowski »

Hi all!

Like the title says, when connecting several different blinking circuits (boards) to the same power supply, the boards are connected in parallel - right?

If so, do I have to worry about amperage the same way as for LEDs when they are connected in parallel, and add an appropriate resistor to each board?

And then, if I want to add independent LEDs to the same power supply, do I have to consider the amperage from the boards too?

I'm a little confused lol

Thank you!
Ant

Re: Connecting Circuits (boards) to the same Power Supply

Post by Ant »

Darkowski wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:07 pm Hi all!

Like the title says, when connecting several different blinking circuits (boards) to the same power supply, the boards are connected in parallel - right?
Right.

Each module or board is a complete circuit in its own right and will have a current draw as defined by that circuit. Provided that each board requires the same voltage as the power supply, and provided the power supply can provide the total amount of current needed (the sum of the current required by each board) then you can connect as many in parallel as you want.

You do not need to do anything else to manage the current for each board.

If you then want to add a LED, you just need to calculate the resistor required for the voltage of your power supply. You do not need to consider what else may be connected.

Ant
Darkowski

Re: Connecting Circuits (boards) to the same Power Supply

Post by Darkowski »

Awesome!

Thanks a lot!
My confidence level just rose exponentially lol

I'm buying you a beer! :)