HDA Modelworx pre-wired SMDs---what wire is this?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

HDA Modelworx pre-wired SMDs---what wire is this?

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

I've become acquaintances with Jerry @ HDA and we have some good conversations. His responses can be sporadic though. He'd told me that the wires that come with his SMDs are AWG28, but I do not believe that is correct. I bought some AWG28 wire from an online electronics store here in Japan and it is definitely thicker than the wire that comes with the SMDs, which are about as thick as thread. I've asked him to confirm, but he hasn't responded. I figure I could get a faster answer on here.

I bought some wire strippers here in Japan that can strip wire as small as AWG30, but even those wire strippers aren't fine enough to strip the wires that come with HDA's SMDs. So I don't think his SMDs are wired with AWG30. Must be thinner. Jerry says he strips his with his teeth. I've had better luck using my fingernails.

I like the AWG28 wire I bought and I am sure I will use it a lot, but I'd also like to try getting some of the same stuff that comes with the SMDs. I like it better than magnet wire because magnet wire is stiff and can break if bent too often.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"