How do I strip WG28 wire?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

How do I strip WG28 wire?

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

This wire is extremely thin, however it is soft compared to magnet wire. Magnet wire breaks fairly easily, and I am not happy about that. I only used WG28 wire once, with an SMD I'd bought from HDA Modelworx. I had a very difficult time stripping it because the wire was too small for my regular wire strippers to work. I used my hobby blade, but this ended up fraying some of the metal strands. What is the proper way to strip this? Magnet wire is at least easy to strip; just scratch off the enamel coating.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
brt

Re: How do I strip WG28 wire?

Post by brt »

look for wire stripper that can handle smaller gauge. I picked up one a few years ago that goes to 30 gauge.

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-CSP-30-1-S ... B00FZPHMUG

looks like this.
“Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
― William Goldman
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

brt wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:58 am look for wire stripper that can handle smaller gauge.
Thanks! I'll look for one at my hardware store.
Greg
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
modelbldr_207582

Post by modelbldr_207582 »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:21 am This wire is extremely thin, however it is soft compared to magnet wire. Magnet wire breaks fairly easily, and I am not happy about that. I only used WG28 wire once, with an SMD I'd bought from HDA Modelworx. I had a very difficult time stripping it because the wire was too small for my regular wire strippers to work. I used my hobby blade, but this ended up fraying some of the metal strands. What is the proper way to strip this? Magnet wire is at least easy to strip; just scratch off the enamel coating.
As I understand this thin wire, the heat of the Soldering Iron alone should get the results of what you're asking. I have 38 gauge magnet wire and it's less than fishing line I have used. I watched a video from Trek Works and in his video (Boyd) stated that the heat from his Soldering Iron will melt the coating of the wire itself.

I am searching Starship Modeler looking to see if 38 gauge will be able to handle 9v voltage to wire 3 mm LEDs I purchased this product from EBay and I have no one to ask this question. For me it's a learning process since I've never wired LEDs or have worked with electronics in the past on this level.
modelbldr_207582

Post by modelbldr_207582 »

I don't know if this issue has been resolved, Does the heat from the Soldering Iron melt the insulation from the wire. I have some thin with and when I place the iron on to it I come up with a clean wire. Just clean the iron with a sponge after each time you clean or strip the wire.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

I once tried using a cigarette lighter to burn it off, but it didn't work. Probably it was too hot. I'll try my soldering iron the next time I have the occasion to.
Greg
brt

Post by brt »

Magnet wire is what you are after. Check Boyds' video again. I saw it as well.
“Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
― William Goldman
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

I already have a bunch of magnet wire and I am sure I will continue using it. I'm using magnet wire on my current lighting project. I've had a few nerve-wracking experiences when the magnet wire broke while attaching them to SMDs. Magnet wire is stiff, and if bent one too many times it will break. WG28 wire is what my pre-wired SMDs from HDA Modelworx use, and I like how soft it is. It feels like thread. I found an online retailer here in Japan that sells WG28, so I might like to start using that instead, depending on what I am doing.
Greg
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

It turns out I was wrong about WG28 wire. The pre-wired SMDs from HDA Modelworx use a gauge of wire that is MUCH thinner than WG28. The stuff is super thin, about the same width of magnet wire, but soft as a thread. I have no idea where I can find this stuff by itself. I asked Jerry from HDA and he says just to strip the wire with my teeth. It worked.
Greg