Number of Fiber to LED

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

slookabill

Number of Fiber to LED

Post by slookabill »

Does anyone know the general max or optimal number of size/dimensions of LEDs to a 3mm and 5mm LED(30degree viewing angle)?
brt

Re: Number of Fiber to LED

Post by brt »

I could not find any reference through google. You may just have to experiment.
“Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
― William Goldman
mophius

Post by mophius »

I haven't had a chance to do any electrics yet so I maygive you a wrong answer.
When you wrap the LED with insulation tape keep the tape parallel to the sides as you wrap the fibres to it. Try not to go outside of this parameter as the light fade would start to show in the windows outputs. It maybe with the larger LED's that you can go a bit more but this would be a safe guide for consistency. Maybe not directly on to the LED give it a centimetre air between them.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

What are you trying to do here? Are you trying to illuminate clear windows by lighting up the interior or light windows by using fiber optic?

If you are trying to light up the interior then the first step is to eliminate any light leakage by thoroughly painting the interior black until all light is blocked. Next you paint the interior either silver or white for maximum light reflectivity. I would then put a sheet of white pare over the windows on the inside to diffuse the light and make it more even.

Now depending on the interior I would arrange the LEDs so the inside is full lit. This is where experimentation and checking comes into play to get the effect you want before the interior is sealed up. Make sure that all exposed wires are covered to prevent shorts.

If you are using fiber optics I would put the fibers in a bundle that is the same diameter as the LED. Cut the ends of the fibers flush and sand them smooth to insure full light transmission. A little Future on the ends would also help. Put the bundled fibers in an Evergreen plastic tube and the LED in the other end. Again cover all exposed wires to prevent shorts.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
mophius

Post by mophius »

I wasn't too far off. I just need to put this into practice.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Colin

Post by Colin »

EVApodman wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:40 am What are you trying to do here? Are you trying to illuminate clear windows by lighting up the interior or light windows by using fiber optic?

If you are trying to light up the interior then the first step is to eliminate any light leakage by thoroughly painting the interior black until all light is blocked.
No, you use a metallic paint - the metallic flakes are opaque and make the model lightproof
Scale Modellers do it with precision
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

I painted the interior of my lit models black, the secret is to hold them up to a bright light until no light is detected. If you want to light up the interior, after painting it black use a reflective paint like silver or gloss white to reflect and diffuse the light to an even glow.

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

White paint refracts light, while metallic paint reflects it. Refraction is better for lighting up windows and such.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 pm White paint refracts light, while metallic paint reflects it. Refraction is better for lighting up windows and such.
Or to say white paint creates a more diffuse lighting while metallic creates bright spots.

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.