Advice on Lighting Kits

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

roughy

Advice on Lighting Kits

Post by roughy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi all
Intend to do my first lit kit by the end of the year. Any advice on lighting kits would be appreciated.
I have come across three makers: Tenacontrols, Galactic Modeler and Trek Modeler.

I'm not terribly knowledgeable when it comes to electronics.
Cheers
Mark

slookabill

Re: Advice on Lighting Kits

Post by slookabill » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:11 pm

Which kit are you thinking of lighting? Another manufacturer is Big Easy Lighting Solutions

roughy

Post by roughy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:18 pm

The 1:600 Revell Enterprise. Because it isn't an accurate kit I'm happy for it to be an experiment. And it is big enough for my clumsy fingers.

Tracy White

Post by Tracy White » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:02 am

There's also Madman Lighting or rolling your own with a microprossessor like an Arduino.
Tracy White
Researcher@Large

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:56 pm

Tracy White wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:02 am
There's also Madman Lighting or rolling your own with a microprossessor like an Arduino.
I have no background in electronics, but I was able to finish my lighted Revell Cylon Raider last night. In order to tackle an Enterprise, I am going to forgo an expensive Arduino and use a 556 timing chip instead. There is a guide online to do the Enterprise's running lights and nav strobes here:
http://virtualight.com/?p=1199
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
We're gonna stab your daughter at the mall. Ah aaah aaah! We're gonna stab your wife, your son. Oooooh!

Tracy White

Post by Tracy White » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:24 pm

$7 is expensive? How about less that $2? $3 with wireless?

I don't use the Chinese clones myself but some people seem OK with them.
Tracy White
Researcher@Large

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Tracy White wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:24 pm
$7 is expensive?
I'll have to admit my ignorance about Arduinos. I saw one for four times that price, or at least whatever it was I believed it to be an Arduino. Perhaps it was pre-programmed or something. I should look up some tutorials on how to use them. I do know that they are good for more than mere flashing lights. A part of me wants to tackle learning how to wire up a 556 timing chip though.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
We're gonna stab your daughter at the mall. Ah aaah aaah! We're gonna stab your wife, your son. Oooooh!

tetsujin

Post by tetsujin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:56 am

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:54 pm
Tracy White wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:24 pm
$7 is expensive?
I'll have to admit my ignorance about Arduinos. I saw one for four times that price, or at least whatever it was I believed it to be an Arduino. Perhaps it was pre-programmed or something. I should look up some tutorials on how to use them. I do know that they are good for more than mere flashing lights. A part of me wants to tackle learning how to wire up a 556 timing chip though.
I think it's generally worth learning things when the motivation is there... But unless you are specifically interested in studying 1970s/1980s-era electronics hobbyist projects, collecting (awesome, classic) Forrest Mims books and all that, I think you're better served in this case by learning microcontrollers instead.

A 555-based circuit is a relatively easy way to get some basic time-varying effects going, and they're absolutely dirt cheap, but for really simple jobs microcontrollers are just about as cheap, and probably as small as the 555 circuit. As the behavior you're trying to achieve gets more complex, the complexity of a discrete logic/analog circuit to achieve that behavior gets much more complex and larger, and if you get something wrong it means redesigning or rebuilding part of the circuit to change the behavior. With a microcontroller you can just hook up a cable and reprogram the thing.
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Abolish Alliteration

Tracy White

Post by Tracy White » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:57 pm

12mm x 12mm Arduino planned. It won't be the cheapest, but frell is that small for a microprocessor board.
Tracy White
Researcher@Large

EVApodman

Post by EVApodman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:27 am

What kind of lighting effect are you looking for.

Steady on- LED and resistor
Blinking/pulsating- the above plus electronics like a charging capacitor. Blinking LEDs are commercially available.
Blinking at a certain rate or pattern- requires logic chips and circuitry. This is the most expensive means of lighting.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

modelbldr_207582

Post by modelbldr_207582 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:42 pm

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:56 pm
Tracy White wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:02 am
I have no background in electronics, but I was able to finish my lighted Revell Cylon Raider last night. In order to tackle an Enterprise, I am going to forgo an expensive Arduino and use a 556 timing chip instead. There is a guide online to do the Enterprise's running lights and nav strobes here:
http://virtualight.com/?p=1199
This is an awesome machine leaving Space Dock - Have seen a couple of videos from Trek Works that have done a number of videos of ST-TOS Builds. This is where I got my inspiration to get back into modeling again.