Photo luminescent panels

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Chuck731

Photo luminescent panels

Post by Chuck731 »

can anyone point me to a tutorial on choosing and installing photo-luminescent panels?

Thanks in advance
brt

Post by brt »

Just google photo luminescent panels tutorial. That should pop up a bunch.
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Any particular reason to choose that type of lighting?

Granted, its a very even and uniform type of light but its not that bright, requires high voltage, and has a shorter lifespan than LEDs.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Chuck731

Post by Chuck731 »

I want to use electroluminescent panels to light the cockpit instrument panels of the millennium falcon. The instrument light are for status indication, not illumination, so they should be fairly subdued and without glare. LEDs or LED powered fiber optics are too bright.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Madman Lighting wrote:Any particular reason to choose that type of lighting?

Granted, its a very even and uniform type of light but its not that bright, requires high voltage, and has a shorter lifespan than LEDs.
What lifespan do they have....I had plans to use some....thx
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

I don't know about a tutorial, but Adafruit sells EL panels and tape.

https://www.adafruit.com/category/50

Basically you need an inverter to drive the panel. They usually off a source that's betwwn 3V to 6V depending on the area of EL panel/tape you're trying to drive.

Best of luck!
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

DaveVan wrote:

Typically about 80 hours IIRC
Abolish Alliteration
brt

Post by brt »

80 hours? Go with LEDs and use a trim pot to lower the brightness of the LEDs and / or find something to diffuse the LEDs.
Chuck731

Post by Chuck731 »

Kylwell wrote:
DaveVan wrote:

Typically about 80 hours IIRC
They advertise 10,000 hours. Nothing compare to 150,000 hours advertised for some LEDs, but more than will likely be used during the lifetime of most models.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

IIRC 80 is their half life or when they get to 50% luminosity.

Or @ least the ones I was looking @ a few years back.
Abolish Alliteration
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

Somewhere I read that the stuff from Miller Engineering ( www.microstru.com ) has around a 400 hour half-life. Useless IMHO.

As noted earlier, add pots to your LEDs to reduce the brightness. If that's still not enough, you can put a filter between the LEDs and the surface.
Rather Fail with Honor, than Succeed by Fraud - Sophocles

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

That lifespan sounds about right to me.

When I started Madman Lighting I looked at all the available lighting sources and LEDs beat everything hands down for what I wanted to do, and in the 10 years since, they've just gotten better, by a lot.

10,000 hours is typical for LEDs and I'm sure its better than that now if you look. The way to make an LED last a long time is to keep it cool. Heat kills silicon devices of any kind. I under-drive mine just a little bit, so there's no chance of over drive and it increases lifetime. My DS9 model is 100% LED lit and it still shines, after 11 years now.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Or, as it just dawned on me, are you wanting glow-in-the-dark panels? Photoluminescence covers materials they glow after being exposed to light. Electoluminescence are materials that glow when electricity is applied.
Abolish Alliteration
Chuck731

Post by Chuck731 »

Kylwell wrote:Or, as it just dawned on me, are you wanting glow-in-the-dark panels? Photoluminescence covers materials they glow after being exposed to light. Electoluminescence are materials that glow when electricity is applied.
No, I am talking about electrically powered luminescent panels, not the ones that glows for a while after being in the light. Sorry about the confusion.