Tips for cutting/snipping FO clean and flush?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

SGluedMyFingers

Tips for cutting/snipping FO clean and flush?

Post by SGluedMyFingers »

Anyone have a tip or tool for cutting fiber optics flush after paint? I've tried using a sharp blade and photoetch scissors but, especially with thicker fiber, I'm getting more of a "break" than a clean cut. A recent cockpit lighting project came out very disappointing. The lights are not very round looking or sorta uneven due to this problem.

Ideas?
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

I typically just use normal sprue cutters. I have a nice pair from Xuron with the orange handles. The problem is that fiber optics can be brittle, especially the thicker they are. They tend to break before the cutters can "cut" all the way thru the fiber. I would grab a brand new set of sprue cutters and only use them for fiber.
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

I used to have a pair of cuticle scissors that had flush-cut jaws. They worked great ... until the brtittle casting snapped.
Rather Fail with Honor, than Succeed by Fraud - Sophocles

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.
SGluedMyFingers

Post by SGluedMyFingers »

Great tips. I don't know why I haven't thought of sprue cutters. And I will have to look for some flat cuticle cutters. That sounds like a great option.

Thanks, guys!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

And there's the trick of heat the end a touch to lens it, then pushing the rest in and gluing in place.
Abolish Alliteration