Fiber optics and paint

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

YankeeGuy0

Fiber optics and paint

Post by YankeeGuy0 »

Hi all!

My very first SSM post. Yay me. I've been building models for a while and I want to make my first attempt at lighting one. Typically I build as many sub assemblies as is practical, paint them, and then put the sub assemblies together. With my current project I am planning to assemble most of the hull before painting to eliminate as many seams as possible. The thing that has me really scratching my head is how do I keep the ends of my fibers clear from paint? All the tutorials I've found skip completely over this point. I'm hesitant to leave them long during paint and trim after lest I damage my paint, also a bunch of fibers sticking out of a hull might make weathering a bit tricky.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks much,
Adam
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You glue the fiber in place with about an inch or so sticking out. Paint, then trim the ends.
Abolish Alliteration
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

One of the guys in the local club uses super glue to glue his fibers into place. He leaves about 1/4 inch sticking out. The super glue makes the fiber brittle, and after painting he just snaps off the protruding ends by brushing with his hand. (The part about the glue making the fiber brittle makes me nervous, but he says it's not a problem. Hmmm.)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've also heard people leaving fiber out with a lot of slack so after paint they can heat lens the end then push it in and glue into place.
Abolish Alliteration
YankeeGuy0

Post by YankeeGuy0 »

Thanks for the replies! Still waiting on some mail order supplies. Wips to follow