Micro-mini slide switches--NEED--

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

ultron

Micro-mini slide switches--NEED--

Post by ultron »

Hey Gang!

So i have many projects that are gonna require very tiny slide switches but, so far, I've only been able to find ones that are around 6mm in total length:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm44 ... 774197.jpg

What I was wondering is, are there any switches available that are smaller than this? Say maybe half the size or maybe better still smaller?

thanks in advance for any help you fine folks can offer! :D
Never tell me the odds!
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

How about a DIP switch? Digikey has a bunch of single position DIP switches.
Mostly these are about 6mm long, but maybe you can find one that isn't much bigger than the .1" pin spacing for through-hole. There are are even smaller half-pitch ones, if you're up for SMT soldering.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
The Arbiter
Location: Lynchburg VA, USA, Earth, Sol System - Sector 001, Grid 165, Milky Way Galaxy, Species 5618

Post by The Arbiter »

What about old printers and computers, etc? There is a world of yummy stuff on the main boards. Printers especially have many types of switches. You could probably get them for free from a Freecycle or Freeshare group in your area.
"Is this a beer I see before me, the bottle toward my hand? Come, let me drink thee. I have thee not, and yet I taste thee still... art thou not, tasty vision, sensible, to taste-buds as to sight?" - Shakesbeer
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You're going to be hard pressed to find a switch smaller than a DIP switch. There are safety switches that are smaller but no slide switch I've seen. I prefer to hide my switches under magnetic covers or activated via a part on the model.
Abolish Alliteration