10mm LEDs!

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Tchail

10mm LEDs!

Post by Tchail »

Until the thread on big flat LEDs, I had no idea that LEDs in the 10mm size were available.

I have a bunch in 1.8, 3, and 5mm sizes, but 10mm definitely has its uses.

(E.g. deflectors and engines...)

http://www.adafruit.com/search?q=10mm+led
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Rondie

Post by Rondie »

I think they've been around for quite awhile. I only know them as jumbo LED's
Rondie

-Admiral Ackbar Cereal-
Your taste buds can't repel flavor of that magnitude!
WarpeD

Post by WarpeD »

I used three of the red/green alternating color 10mm units for the gear indicator lights in my cockpit. Very bright! The warm white 10mm LED's I got for my Seaview aren't quite as bright, but I have a feeling that will be good, since those lights don't want to be super effective, searchlights or not. Gotta figure though, since these are used in tail lights for trucks and cars these days, they've got to be quite robust.
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

Yeah, they're been around for some time. AFAIK, here are the possible sizes for those round domes

1. 1.8/2mm
2. 3mm
3. 5mm
4. 8mm
5. 10mm

However, where brightness is concerned, I think its the same brightness as the 5mm version but in some cases, the 3mm LEDs are brighter. I might be biased because I tend to think they're using the same electrodes but bigger resin lens encapsulation.
What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks