Bussard light kit failure

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

belkin321

Post by belkin321 »

Hello.
A problem here for the electronic wizards. I have a bussard LED kit that uses a 4017 and 555 IC chips. Left and right are separate PCBs. The right side stopped working such that it does not rotate, but the LEDs stay on. If I turn the power on and off fast, the LEDs appear to rotate as normal. If I just turn the power back on, the LEDs just light again, but don't rotate. Is this a bad 4017 or 555 chip? Thanks
chiver

Post by chiver »

Either a short some where or the chip is faulty, when I acadently cook the chip in a tea light candle the LED stays on with no flicker
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Battery or power supply? If battery, it's possible the two circuits together are at their upper limit of the battery's V and mA capacity and now that you've been testing it for a bit, the battery is starting to die and the circuits are sensitive to the slight drop in battery strength and can't pull enough power to operate properly

Try hooking up a wall wart and see if that gets things running again.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by belkin321 »

The spinners use a wall wart power supply. I have tested each spinner independently...the left one works fine, but the right one fails as described.
brt

Post by brt »

Static electricity can toast a 4017. Perhaps this might be affecting it.
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

The 555 generates the pulse required by the 4017 to 'spin' the LEDs.

If you have a meter, you can test the voltage at Pin 3 of the 555 timer. If the needle fluctuates, the 555 is working. The 4017 is a CMOS IC, which has a wide operating voltage but is very sensitive to electrostatic which actually kills it.

1. Look for any possible shorts too.
2. Try replacing the 4017 first and then the 555. Do remember the orientation of both chips.
What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks