Making an Arduino sound board

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

Making an Arduino sound board

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I've got a project that I'd like a little help on.

I want to use an Arduino microcontroller for lights and sound effects in a TIE Interceptor Hasbro toy. There's enough room inside it for a small power source and circuit board, with some room in the tail for a speaker. And before you ask, this is the newer Amazon Exclusive TIE Interceptor toy, with the accurate cockpit ball and no tail to house the electronics.

What I want to have the microcontroller do is the following:

Make the following sounds when I push the appropriate buttons:

Laser noise
Laser noise with the "Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch!" sound
Engine flyby
Engine roar - first push will ramp up the sound, and it stays on until the button is pushed again.
Explosion sound

I also want it to have the following lighting effects:

The laser cannons on the cockpit ball flash when either laser noise is selected.
The engines will ramp up and down with the flyby and will ramp up and stay on when the roar button is pressed, then ramp down when it's pressed again.

The laser sounds should overlap, but if the flyby sound is going, the engine roar sound effect should be disabled until it is no longer sounding, and vice versa.

I would like to know what components I'll need for such a project. I already know I'll need LEDs, a 3v power source (IIRC), and a small speaker, plus a small Arduino board. I do need to know which board I'll likely need for this, and probably a little help understanding the language. I've done some programming in C+, but I'm not sure if that will translate well with the Arduino language. I'll probably experiment with it myself and look up similar projects to find solutions, I just want to know if anyone has experience with this sort of thing and wouldn't mind helping me out.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
brt

Post by brt »

I would like to suggest that you get the Sparkfun Inventors Kit at

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12001 ... n=TopRight

I have it and I am just going through the excercises. It has 15 projects which include several lighting exercises and a sound project. Code is provided for all projects and you can play with the values to vary the results. It was easy for me to change the code to get the refit nav and strobe lights going.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Hey, thanks!! :D
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!