Light leaks

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

belkin321

Light leaks

Post by belkin321 »

What is best color to paint inside model to prevent light showing thru
nick
Location: Cranbourne, home of the Phillip Island Motorcycle Grand Prix Run. And the amazing meteorite display!

Post by nick »

I spray the insides black. This is probably the best colour to use.
cheers
belkin321

Light leaks

Post by belkin321 »

Thanks
belkin321

Light leaks

Post by belkin321 »

Thanks
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Black "sucks up" a lot of light. It really depends on what you want to achieve. If it is just for light blocking, a black coat will be fine (make sure to seal seams!), but if you use the model als a "lamp", white might be a better option for even light distribution.

For blocking light I also had good success with a special Chrome Silver paint from the rattkle can - actually, the result was not chrome-like at all, but the soft paint created a thick and really opaque layer, better than any acrylic spray paint.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
chiver

Post by chiver »

i use the chrome as well. works well for me.
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
nick
Location: Cranbourne, home of the Phillip Island Motorcycle Grand Prix Run. And the amazing meteorite display!

Post by nick »

Like you said, black 'sucks up' a lot of the light. Silver will just reflect it all around the interior of the model until it finds a small seam and then will show through. Black is best to 'absorb' the light.
Make sure there are no seams, even better is to use black electrical tape around all/or most seam lines to definitely block any possibility of light escaping. This works really quite well.

cheers
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Another great product for light blocking is black Tulip Fabric Paint. It's water based and goes on thick. Great if you have assembled and finished painting a model and notice a tiny light leak in a seamline. You can dab some Tulip on it, wipe off the excess with a wet rag or your finger, and no more light leak. Saves you having to putty, sand, and do touchup.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"