9 or 12 volts

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

belkin321

9 or 12 volts

Post by belkin321 »

Is there a preference as to 9 or 12 volts for lighting models
Thanks
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

I've actually be migrating towards 3v, unless there is some sort of circuit that needs to be driven.

3v allows you to drive white LEDs without the need for resistors.

But then again, you could always put 3 white LEDs in series and drive them off of a 9v source...
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Disillusionist

Post by Disillusionist »

I've always leaned towards 12 volts. Good power supplies are easier to come by, and most of the LED strips are designed to run at 12 volts.
Affordable laser cutting and engraving for the hobby community

www.laserfirecreations.com While you're at it, follow us on Facebook
Ant

Post by Ant »

The only time the lighting in my kits gets demonstrated is at shows, where there is usually no mains supply available so everything is designed to be battery powered.

That means careful consideration over what is actually needed by the circuit, rather than taking what is available and burning off the excess as heat.

Either 3 or 4.5v supplied by AAAs AAs or a CR123A is usually fine. It's a compromise between space available for batteries, and battery life.
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

You always want to use as little voltage as possible, for safety more than any other reason, but there's no minimum or maximum - it depends on the lighting you're doing for that individual build.

Just approach it logically. Work out the different kinds of lighting you're installing and what each needs individually. If everything is the same voltage, you're on your way.

If you have different voltages, get a power supply that matches the highest one and use resistors/limiters branched off to cut the voltage down to suit the remaining ones.

And in all this, don't forget about amperage. If you don't have enough of that, you'll either burn out your power supply or you won't be able to run all your lighting at once. Calculate both voltage and amperage as you plan your installation.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by chiver »

How do you go abouts to do that? I'm still new to lighting models. And how do you know what to use if you have a strobe circuit in the model?
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
brt

Post by brt »

Average LED takes 20 milliamps. 50 LEDs would need at least a 1 amp power supply. Better to have a little more than needed, than come up short. If your strobe is off a 555 or 556 timer, you lose about 2 volts through it.
For my project right now, I am using 4 AAs for 6 volts, dropping 2 Volts across the timer for 4 Volts. Leaves me using small resistors.
chiver

Post by chiver »

What about with LED tape? It would be about a foot of blue LED tape, 4 red LEDs and one blue led with a 555 strobe driving a white led
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
brt

Post by brt »

You need to read the specs on the LED tape. They have built in resistors don't they? So you just need the voltage rating.