First time

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Jdge439

First time

Post by Jdge439 »

Hi,

Im new here, and it is my first time lighting a model. Im good with electronics, so thats no problem. Im Making an enterprise e first, simple one, level 2 from AMT. An easy one since its my first lighting one.

My question is, what does everyone use to open up the windows they want lit? An incredibly small dremel bit or what? Ill glady take any advice anyone is willing to give.
"When the first link of chain is forged, the first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, chains us all irrevocably."
Jdge439

Post by Jdge439 »

also, What do you guys use for power supplies? I ws soldering wires and leds the other day, using my life life train ACC PSU. But unless I want to buy one of those for each model, that cant be an option. What do you guys use?
"When the first link of chain is forged, the first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, chains us all irrevocably."
nac359

Post by nac359 »

Welcome. I'm a bit of a newbie too and there are a lot of experienced people on here to give you some tips and tricks.

I'm a fan of eBay for most of the components (LED, resistors, etc...), but for power supplies I use a 9V wall wart: http://shop.evilmadscientist.com/produc ... tsmenu/174
brt

Post by brt »

Pin vise and needle files to open up windows.
Redag

Post by Redag »

When I went to buy a pin vise the stores I went to would not recognize the name, sadly. They did have them, but thought of them under a name I now no longer recall, sadly.
Tommy8008

Post by Tommy8008 »

I'm currently doing the Enterprise E myself, lighting it of course.

I used an archimedes screw with a 0.6 mm drill bit and drilled two holes at either end of the window, then gently used the bit as a saw.

Someone here, whose name escapes me, did the same thing with theirs and that's what I did.
Jdge439

Post by Jdge439 »

The pin vise like a saw seemed to work for me pretty well. Im sure Ill get more experience as I go along.

Whats a good way to light the Nacelles and Impulse engines? The model I have, they are clear, so I was gonna use some blue and red spray enamel. Is there a better way to color them more uniform?
gireds

Post by gireds »

Whats a good way to light the Nacelles and Impulse engines? The model I have, they are clear, so I was gonna use some blue and red spray enamel. Is there a better way to color them more uniform?
Tamiya makes some awesome clear acrylic paint. Turns those clear pieces red or blue while still keeping the translucence.

I'm also lighting the same kit and got the Starship Lighting kit from Madman Lighting.

As for all those damn windows...have fun. If you have a Harbor Freight in your area go pick up a couple packs of the micro drill bits. I've broken about 10 and I haven't even gotten to the secondary hull yet.