Introducing the Pegasus Flasher Board

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Matt1982

Introducing the Pegasus Flasher Board

Post by Matt1982 »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqsfcxur36oyx ... sboard.jpg

Hi guys, I'd like to share my new pegasus board. Even though I know there are other sellers, I have thought of selling these to the community. I am not sure if its worth it though. I wonder if I could order a 100 etched and drilled boards for a reasonable price.

Here is the plan: It proves a slow flash for the landing entrance of the Pegasus landing bays and it will provide a strobe ... for somewhere!
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Any reasonably priced board that offers some special effects is always welcome. How many LEDs can it support and is the flash rate adjustable?
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
Matt1982

Post by Matt1982 »

If I add a transistor as a driver, it could power many LEDs. A simple variable resistor could adjust the frequency. Luckily, the 555 timers really can push a lot of current anyhow.

Component wise, it isn't that much. I figure $3 for a board (produced in quantity), $1 for 555 timers, and $1 for miscellaneous parts. It is only about $5 in base material costs.
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

While designed for the Pegasus it sounds like a great board for other Hangar Decks/Landing Bays also- I love animated landing lights!
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

If you redesigned it as a microcontroller board, you'd probably pay more for the IC (maybe $3 instead of $1) but you'd be able to do away with a lot of the other components (timing resistors and caps in particular - really everything but the current limiting resistors for the LEDs), and dramatically cut down on the board size (cutting board cost) without packing the components closer together. That would also get you a lot more independently-controlled channels.
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Wow.... I don't know anyone who does stuff like that. Imagine, a microcontroller being smaller and more versatile than a 1970's era analog timer chip? Wow. :wink:

Neat little board there. Nice job. :)
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Matt1982

Post by Matt1982 »

All these fancy smancy micontrollers! Just remember, my little board is cylon virus proof! They can't hack it!
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

I could use one of those in my 3 foot Galactica!
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

Matt1982 wrote:All these fancy smancy micontrollers! Just remember, my little board is cylon virus proof! They can't hack it!
So really a 555 board should be used for Galactica... Other Battlestars should use microcontrollers. :)
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.