Diffusing led strips

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

vwguy16

Diffusing led strips

Post by vwguy16 »

I'm using the standard 12 volt led strips to light the nacelles in my enterprise b kit. The issue I have is that you can see the bright spots where each led is, and I want to smooth that lighting out along the length of the engine.

I have the strip of LEDs sitting at the bottom of the nacelle facing up.

Anyone got any tips or methods of achieving this?

Thanks

Andy
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Have you frosted the inside of the clear pieces but still have hot spots? Filling the space inside the nacelle with white polyester batting should diffuse the LED lights if frosting didn't do the trick.
vwguy16

Post by vwguy16 »

Hmm what do you mean by frosting? I get what it would look like but not sure the method to use?

Cheers
Chas

Post by Chas »

Typical methods include sanding the parts,or alternatively Krylon makes a frosted glass spraycan that is available in N America.
If you have acces to a sandblaster they work great!
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

I've heard of people cutting white plastic straws in half, but haven't seen the results. Might be worth a try.
Rather Fail with Honor, than Succeed by Fraud - Sophocles

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.
Max Nex

Post by Max Nex »

1. airbrush the outside of the clear pieces clear flat.
(actually it's not clear , but a bit hazy)
2. go to the kitchen and steal some waxed paper and wrap that around the led strips.
two layers of waxed paper might be required.
:thumbsup:
vwguy16

Post by vwguy16 »

Cool thanks all for the ideas guys. Will try some out and post results
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Just remember the more layers of diffusing material you use the less light will shine through.

I've had success before using a plastic straw with an LED on each end, which makes a "light tube" that has no hot spots in it. If you can't get rid of the hot spots, try that instead.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Fester

Post by Fester »

I've used a scotchbrite scrubbing pad to 'frost' the inside of the clear pieces (basically, scrub the inside of the part until it looks evenly 'frosty'). I prefer using that method because there is less chance of some kind of paint/plastic reaction. Then, I put in white synthetic fiber 'fuzz' that came from the inside of a plush dog toy... the dog is constantly ripping the toys apart.

I loosely packed the fuzz inside the clear part so that it was between the clear part and the leds. It worked pretty well... Between the frosting and the fuzz... it spread the light really well and diffused the hot spots without significantly reducing the light output.
CarlGo

Post by CarlGo »

Fester wrote:I've used a scotchbrite scrubbing pad to 'frost' the inside of the clear pieces (basically, scrub the inside of the part until it looks evenly 'frosty'). I prefer using that method because there is less chance of some kind of paint/plastic reaction. Then, I put in white synthetic fiber 'fuzz' that came from the inside of a plush dog toy... the dog is constantly ripping the toys apart.

I loosely packed the fuzz inside the clear part so that it was between the clear part and the leds. It worked pretty well... Between the frosting and the fuzz... it spread the light really well and diffused the hot spots without significantly reducing the light output.
Tearing up a couple of cotton balls works great too. :)
"What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?"
--Londo Mollari

"There's coffee in that nebula."
--Kathryn Janeway
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Strips cut from a plastic milk carton work.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark