Hot to Make a " night light"

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

chiver

Hot to Make a " night light"

Post by chiver »

So my plan is to set up one of the smaller models on a wall mount, but want to make it like a night light, so it's on in the day but off at night, is there a simple way to do it or does it require some kind of micro control
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

It would be pretty easy to rob a light sensor from a cheap night light, like you can get at any Target or Walmart. I planned to do the same thing at some point. Depending on how it's wired, you might even be able to just use the whole thing as your power source, since most of them are LED these days. You'll know once you crack it open.

-Rog

EDIT: Just noticed that you said ON during the day...so not like a night light. ;)

I'm sure you could use the same source for the sensor, but you'll need someone smarter than me to tell you how to reverse when it's on.
chiver

Post by chiver »

Lol wow, I isn't even realize I put it like that, on at night and off in the day lol
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Okay, then yeah, I think cannibalizing an existing nightlight would be your best bet. You can definitely get a standalone light sensor component, or one from Lego Mindstorms, but you'll have to figure out how to wire it into your lighting and it probably won't be as cheap.

-Rog
chiver

Post by chiver »

I can't find anything on you tube or google, but I was thinking of taking a yard solar light apart and just pluging in the sensor between the batt and light and seeing if that would work