Mixing LED Types and pulsing LED

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Buzzbomb

Mixing LED Types and pulsing LED

Post by Buzzbomb »

In the recent Gunstar Build I used LED's to light the model.
Used a parallel wiring loom, individual Resistors and a 9V battery for show power, which is enough for a single day operation.

6 x LED were 5mm normal coloured LED, on all the time.
4 x LED were 3mm flashers

The problem I have found is when the voltage drops on the battery the "On all time"LED start to pulse with the flashers.. engine lights not so bad, but the cockpit lights look stupid doing that.

Clearly it is because of the voltage dropping on the battery.
Is there a way you can get around pulsing still using very simple circuits ?

I throw it over to the much more learned crew here on this forum.

Thanks
Brian T
It's not a toy!.... it's an accurate scale representation of a craft that doesn't actually exist.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

9V batteries don't have very much capacity, so I've always built my simple lighting projects around 4 AA-size batteries. Can you refit your power supply to use 6 AA or AAA batteries, or possibly a 9V wall wart?
brt

Post by brt »

I've seen battery case holders on ebay, usually from hong kong, that will hold 6 AAs for 9 volt operation.
Buzzbomb

Post by Buzzbomb »

The using a block of AA batteries sounds like the go.. the 9V clip was easier.. but now I know for sure. s I read the same thing about the 9V block batteries so confirms what I was thinking that it is a capacity problem more than anything else.

Plan to fit a "wall wart" socket as well at some stage, which will make the entire issue go away.

Thanks for the help guys as always.
It's not a toy!.... it's an accurate scale representation of a craft that doesn't actually exist.