Mixing LED light strips with other LEDs

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Kitkat

Mixing LED light strips with other LEDs

Post by Kitkat »

So I'm lighting up a Nebula Class model (conversion kit from DLM). I'm using a variety of different LEDs including the 360 degree variety. The idea for lighting the blue grills of the warp engines was to use LED strips from Modelers Brand. When I light the strips separately, they're fine. But when I hook everything up together, they dim. The rest of the LEDs are fine, just the light strips dim. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this? Solutions?
Kitkat

Post by Kitkat »

Forgot to mention, I'm running everything off of 9V. Would using a bus bar to separate the circuits help?
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Sounds like you don't have enough amperage to run everything. Are you using a 9v battery or power adapter?
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by chiver »

Don't forget there is resistors built into the strip. So if there is another led with resistor in the same circut that could affect it.
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
Kitkat

Post by Kitkat »

I'm running everything on a 9v battery for now (testing). I'll be using a wall wart once assembled.
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

But that may be part of your problem - the battery probably isn't delivering the amperage you need to make things run properly. If you don't start with the right size power supply, all your other math for making things work will be thrown off.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by Kitkat »

Good point. So I should calculate (or re-calculate) the amperage I need and use an appropriate power source?
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Yes. Get all your electronics worked out before you start modifying the kit so that you don't need to re-modify anything as you go.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

Post by Kitkat »

Yup. You were right. 9v batteries only generate 300 mA. I hooked up a power source rated at 600mA and everything is working perfectly now.

And there was no modifying or re-modifying of anything. I was in the testing stage getting the electronics worked out.

Thanks.