LED diffusion question

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Buzzbomb

LED diffusion question

Post by Buzzbomb »

Doing the 1/72 Gunstar kit and putting a single LED in each of the engine pods. Using some 5mm Cyan LED's for a change.

My real question is do you folks have any ideas on ways/techniques to make the LED light more diffused rather than the specific bright single glow in that sort of engine bell arrangement ?

I did think of getting some of the "flickering" LED's but undecided so far.. the cyan looks pretty cool I reckon anyway.

Thanks Brian T
It's not a toy!.... it's an accurate scale representation of a craft that doesn't actually exist.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

You could sand the LED to create a dull surface that will disperse the light around a little. You could also try putting some frosty clear plastic in front of the LED to diffuse the light. If the spot still looks too "hot", you could try finding another LED with a larger viewing angle.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

If space/visibility allows, I really like milk jug plastic for diffusing light like that.

-Rog
Buzzbomb

Post by Buzzbomb »

Both great suggestions.

Let the experimentation commence !

thanks guys
It's not a toy!.... it's an accurate scale representation of a craft that doesn't actually exist.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mix a tiny bit of white acrylic paint into clear epoxy glue, then daub over the led. Instant diffusion!
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Polyfill ( pillow stuffing material ) will spread the light quite nicely