Power source UK vs US

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

figurator

Power source UK vs US

Post by figurator »

Can anyone help me in setting up a lighting system on a kit Im building. Im working on the 41" Blockade Runner for a client,which will have a lighting system in it. My limit of knowledge is in the power supply. My client lives in the UK, Im in the US, and I know we both use a different plug, ontop of perhaps different watts. Can anyone recommend what I should do here?
karim

Post by karim »

What I would do is decide on a DC voltage to support, and spec out both US and UK power supplies (AKA wall-warts) that have the same DC supply output.
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Ah, this isnt too hard.

Most modern "wall wort" wall power supplies will work in either US or UK power, its the darn PLUG that's different.

What you want is a wall wort with a UK specific plug, or, you can get one with a snap-on plug system that works anywhere. Then you buy the plug that goes with the country.

Here is the wort from Mouser, this one makes 18V at 500mA but there are others for different output voltages.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cin ... VOvcAqtjyA

And, now the plug, for the UK of course.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cin ... UtfA%3d%3d

Enjoy!
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Sloucher

Post by Sloucher »

The only main difference to bear in mind here, except for the actual plug format, is the supply voltage. In the US I believe its 110V ac whereas here in the UK its 240V ac.

The PSU highlighted by Madman would do fine as its input voltage range covers both. Just make sure whatever wall wart you choose that it'll take an input of 240V ac.

As regards wattage, that's a function of output voltage and amps so thats down to your design voltage and current draw.
WiredFX

Small Lighting and Effects UK
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

I'll tell you a secret of modern switch mode power supplies:

They all take the input AC voltage and boost/rectify it to about 300 VDC which is what the transformer runs on. This high DC voltage is pulsed through a high frequency transformer into a secondary rectification circuit with is then monitored for current limit and voltage regulation. This is how you get a much smaller sized power supply and at a much higher efficiency.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine