Clyde "En'til'Zog" Jones has passed away

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Clyde "En'til'Zog" Jones has passed away

Post by TER-OR »

It is with heavy heart I bring sad news. Our own Clyde "Zog" or "En'til'Zog" Jones has passed away. He had been battling health problems for years. Clyde was a founding member of the IPMS Techmages, and an exceptional individual. He'll be missed.

I know Zog was active here in the lighting forum, I thought you guys would like to know.
Last edited by TER-OR on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

:(
Winners don't use question marks!
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.... :(
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

Woah, Ter! This comes as a huge shock! Please pass my condolences to this family... :(
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
brt

Post by brt »

Sorry to hear that. :(
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

I probably communicated with Clyde a few times thru e-mail during the clubs J-57 build days. Funny I never met him personally nor do I know what he even looks like but 'Zog' was often mentioned during club meetings.
BTW I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right but was Clyde actually an electrician that worked on the original series of Star Trek at one time? I swear one of you guys in the club told me he did or I might be completely mistaken?
G-man

Post by G-man »

Sorry to hear of the loss of another artist and friend.
Follow Catalyst Creations on face book!
Or
On The Web!
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Sad news for sure, he was always helpful and friendly.

Could we put "en'til Zog" in the thread title? I'm sure there are others who knew him by that name on here who weren't able to meet him in person. I confess I wouldn't have clicked but it seemed out of place being in this section of the forum so I was curious who it was. Now I'm glad I did so I could put the name with the online face.

Seeing as I only knew him through here, I'd love it if others posted some of their memories of him.

-Rog
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

He sent me his primer on electronics a few years back while I was in Iraq. One of those guys I wanted to meet in person. Peace and strength to his family.

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

I got to know Clyde a little some years ago, he seemed a kindred soul so I reached out and made the effort. A really nice guy and a great model builder. Very sorry to hear.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Very sad news, he had a great way of breaking things down for the rest of us. Its just hard to hear this news.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

I am so sorry.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Here's one of the shots I know I have.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ter-or/235 ... 192488450/

Yes, Zog did work on the original Star Trek series making props, at least for the pilots. Some of his work is at the Smithsonian.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

TER-OR wrote:Here's one of the shots I know I have.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ter-or/235 ... 192488450/

Yes, Zog did work on the original Star Trek series making props, at least for the pilots. Some of his work is at the Smithsonian.
Wow he looks almost exactly how I pictured him in my mind. Great pictures Terry.
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

Well, damn. That's a terrible shame.
Rather Fail with Honor, than Succeed by Fraud - Sophocles

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.
Sloucher

Post by Sloucher »

So sad to hear of the passing of this very knowledgeable and helpful man. Condolences to his family.
WiredFX

Small Lighting and Effects UK
Jon Kunatz

Post by Jon Kunatz »

I have no idea why I did not look into this subsection earlier, this is the first im hearing of this...

This,...is sad.

:cry:

RIP Clyde...
Cabin Boy Vir Here

*Yes, yes...I'll admit I tuned you out but in my defense it's because I already figured out that you're stupid.*---Dr. Rodney McKay, Stargate SG-1
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Jon Kunatz wrote:I have no idea why I did not look into this subsection earlier, this is the first im hearing of this...

This,...is sad.

:cry:

RIP Clyde...
Same here. Never met the guy in person but gosh I have talked to him a bunch here. Hope to meet him at the bench in the sky someday.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
didihno

Post by didihno »

Only saw this now, RIP Zog.
Seemed a friendly sort. Sad to lose such a committed scifi guy.
He tasks me! He tasks me and I shall have him!
Keptin Barnes

Post by Keptin Barnes »

Wai-! Whoa! Wha-?! Zog, died?

Damn! I didn't know that!

I don't always come to this section of the Forum since I haven't done any lighting for years. But with me starting my 1/350 TOS I thought I'd check this out.

Ah, man. Zog was great. He was so helpful to me when I first started adding lighting to my builds. He gave me all sorts of information, printed things for me, even mailed me some Karma Boxes.

Great guy. I wondered why I hadn't seen him on here for a long time. I figured he was just busy.

Love, light and happiness to you in your new life, en'til Zog. :please:

April :please:
"Now Father Jack. What do you say to a nice cup of tea?"
"Feck off, Cup!!"

Namaste--The Divinity within me perceives and adores the Divinity within you. We are One. :please:

NEW STORY PUBLISHED! Check it out. My first Novelette!. April Welles:

More of my builds:
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb10 ... oductions/
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

For those who weren't there, 1-0 paid tribute to Zog at Iron Modeler at WF. Anyone happen to have video of it?
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by No_6 »

OMG! Sorry for the late response. He was of so much help to me... such a great, thoughtful, patient guy. RIP Zog. :(
I am not a number.
Zestronad

Well this truely sucks.

Post by Zestronad »

This is the first time I've had a chance to get home in some time. So I was digging through my wallet trying to find his card. It's the only place I have his number stored. I figured it would be a good chance to drop by and see him again. Well my girlfriend went searching for his number and hit this post. well I guess this blows my plans for the weekend.

Clyde was a bit eccentric, but a very kind man. His talent and imagination were unparalleled. I will admit that sci fi is not really my genre, I prefer military, but he was a true inspiration.

Clyde understood that the younger generation is not that into modeling. He would shop at Big Lots to pick up cheap kits that he could get into the hands of kids at events at hobby shops to try to foster the love in younger people.

When I was in Northwoods Modlers Club, he would offer up themes, generally they were a ton of fun. the time frames were often too short for us working folk to put up truely spectacular pieces, but we had a lot of fun comming up with what we produced. some of the memorable themes for me were "Road Warrior" and "Something with legs" My enterants were a humvee with a scratch built I-beam hedge cutter like WWII shermans used complete with a disembodied leg hanging from it, and a diorama of a six legged BMP on a diorama base parked next to a snow covered outhouse. all the viewports on the BMP were loaded and wired with yellow SMT LEDs. That Diorama is still on the table in the entery way next to the phone. That particular piece was one that I did lots of new attempts at rust and grease streaking.

I still have a B58 and a YB49 kit that I got from him, that I will definately have a hard time ever building.

Clyde old friend, you will be sorely missed. The world has no Idea what it truely lost.

I know your service to your country also had a profound affect on your health, but you like me, would do it again anyway.

Rest in peace.
Don't take life seriously, it's not permanent.
Jon Kunatz

Post by Jon Kunatz »

Has anyone thought of some type of memorial for him?

Like a club memorial or something like that. There has to be some way to honor the guy.
Cabin Boy Vir Here

*Yes, yes...I'll admit I tuned you out but in my defense it's because I already figured out that you're stupid.*---Dr. Rodney McKay, Stargate SG-1
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

The trophies for this year's Iron Modeler competition were designed with Zog's memory in mind.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Nazgul001

Post by Nazgul001 »

Clyde was sorely missed at the local model show that the Wausau IPMS put on last weekend. All of us in attendance had a long moment of silence for him. My son was sad that he couldn't "Make a model with the oldman" at the Make-n-Take. You could tell someone special was missing from the show this year and it was Clyde. Rest in peace good buddy.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Wow, talk about a sledge hammer to the gut . . . Can't believe I didn't notice this thread till now.

He was always so nice to me and everyone else, always answering my questions as patiently as you please and being very helpful in his answers. I didn't even know he worked on the original Star Trek.

He will be sorely missed.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
DEC

Post by DEC »

Sorry gentlemen and ladies of SSM,

I too never normally check out this forum, and so by chance have only just found this news.

While I have far less knowledge of En'til Zog in person, I found his posts always useful and exchanged with him during the second BOS challenge.

My condolences go out to all who knew him.

Dec
look sir.............Droids