Enterprise E windows?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

nightwing4532

Enterprise E windows?

Post by nightwing4532 »

So I'm planning on lighting my first kit. The electronics I'm good with I think (a very rudimentary lighting job is what I have planned), but since I've never done this before, what do you do to the windows after you drill them out? I've read putting clear epoxy works well, but I'm just looking for tips.

Also, would the steps be
1. paint the interior of the model black to prevent light bleeding
2. paint the exterior of the ship the base color
3. drill out the holes
4. fill the holes from the back
5. run all the electronics and glue together the basic assemblies
6. puttying, sanding, touch up paint

This was my plan, but looking for advice since finding a 1701-E isn't exactly easy and I don't want to screw it up
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

I would drill the windows, light and build the kit and then paint the exterior hull. You are not going to get to much paint inside by painting after the windows are opened up. After all is said and done, use Micro Krystal Kleer to fill the windows after painting and decaling.
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
nightwing4532

Post by nightwing4532 »

thanks Robiwan.

As long as the paint is put on in thin coats, any reason to think the paint will fill in the windows I just drilled? Or if that happens, its fairly easy to clean them out I guess right?
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Anytime I filled in a window while spray painting I just poke it with a toothpick when I'm done. If you use an airbrush you should not have any problems.
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
steam235

Post by steam235 »

I'd agree that you should drill before painting. What I did on my voyager was drill the windows then I sprayed the parts then I assembeled. I had to respray the seams after I puttied it worked out ok