How to get started with lighting

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

LST01

How to get started with lighting

Post by LST01 »

Hello everybody,

I'm pretty new to ST modeling and finally decided to start with one of the three Voyager kits I have (original boxing). Bough them many years ago as an 'investment' and then finally Revell decided to drop the ball on it again. So, instead of selling them, I'd like to build them :)

I had a look around on the site and found some good references. I'm still looking for a good guide to start with a kit like this. Not the plastic modeling part (I've been doing that for many years with airplanes and stuff), but the lighting and electronics part.

So, where do you start? First the lightning part? Drilling out all bits and pieces replacing them with leds? One big light for all the windows? Dividing the body in multiple parts? And how to you cope with the basic powersource and hooking everything up? I'm clueless.

I'll have a look at our local gardning store because Christmas is coming and they have alot of thos small little houses with leds and stuff. I think I can find a few bits and pieces.

Hope you can help.

Kind regards
Laurens
The Netherlands
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

I'd suggest that you start with something simple, like putting a few LEDs in a simple model. Headlights in a 1/24th scale snap car kit would be good. Simple construction, saving the "work" part of the project for stuffing in a couple of white LEDs. Or working tail lights, just to keep the possible frustration level down

Once you get comfortable with the lightiing, the LEDs, wire wrap wire, and so on, get more complicated with your projects.

You have read all of these threads, right?

Announcement: LEDs & Other Low voltage, Low power lighting
Announcement: Power Sources
Announcement: Electronic Circuits Help
Where there's a Will....there's Probate.
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Have a look at my web site, www.madmanlighting.com in the Downloads section. There you will find all the instructions for my kits which will explain the basics of installing LEDs and fiber optic lighting.

You can also look at my YouTube channel that shows how some of the installation is done, but mostly it shows what the different special effects are.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine