LED problem

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

steam235

LED problem

Post by steam235 »

Good Morning,

In my 350 Refit I'm having a series of lights that flicker and or turn off. I made a two minute video showing the problem.

http://youtu.be/iEeW1f_Jv_Y

Here's my basic set up. I have a three C battery pack providing 4.5 volts. I have a common ground wire running up to the ship. Next I have the positive wire running to three switches switch one runs a wire to the ship and branches off to power all of my white lights. switch two runs a wire to the ship that branches off and powers all of the amber RCS thrusters plus three white LEDs that power the impulse crystal and engines. switch two also powers switch three which in one position powers a blue LED in the deflector and in the other position powers an amber LED in the deflector. All LEDs are in parallel and every LED has it's own resistor.
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

It sounds like it's a power issue. You said the switch with the RCS and impulse lights are all one circuit but it consists of both yellow and white LEDs? That may be the issue. Even though they all have their own resistor, the whites want to pull more from the power supply than the yellows do which makes everything dim to different degrees as the power supply tries to keep up.

Either break the yellows and whites on that circuit out to two circuits - one for each - or maybe you're pushing your batteries too hard - try a wall wort.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by robiwon »

I am more inclined to think it's a bad/cold solder joint somewhere at or past switch two. The way they all flicker at the same rate when you jiggled the model, I have had this happen with bad joints. If it was the wrong resister you wouldn't get full power and then the dimming/flicker. Plus jiggleing the model and causing the effect leads me to believe it's a bad solder joint or loose connection.

Just my 2 cents.
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
Ant

Post by Ant »

Yeah I'd agree it's most likey a bad connection - either a loose joint or possibly an intermittent short circuit...
steam235

Post by steam235 »

OK issue positivly identified.

The lead from the switch carrying positive to the inside of the ship for the RCS thrusters, warp crystal etc. is loose it is loose inside the engineering hull underneath the shuttle bay.

Here's the good news. I can just cut that wire off. How will that circuit get power? well I have not attached the nacelles and each nacelle had a lead from the RCS + and main light +. I can connect those and the RCS circuit will turn on when ever my main lights are on.
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

I'm glad you discovered the problem and that it was easly fixable! Good job!
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
daza

Post by daza »

Thanks for the replies, I've got the same issue and am guessing it must be this. I'll let you know if not.