stobe/formation lights from trekmodeler. com question.

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

nickymaude

stobe/formation lights from trekmodeler. com question.

Post by nickymaude »

i have bought a federation flashing board from trek modoler.com, the strobes look fine, but the formation lights seem a bit slow to me, ithere about 7 seconds on and 7 seconds off. Does that sound about right?
brt

Post by brt »

Should be more like 1 second on, one second off. 7 seconds on and then 7 seconds off is just wrong.
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

You might want to go over the resistor values again.
What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks
bjblasko

Post by bjblasko »

I just got one and I have the same problem. Did you get yours fixed.
The Trekmodeler

Post by The Trekmodeler »

Posted earler in email to bjblasko

These are PIC's that are pretty reliable however they are static sensitive and they get affected by heat and cold. For instance, if it is too cold the blink rate is slower and if it is too hot the blink rate is faster. If it is already installed in the model, wait a while the EM interference from the wires and the heat should return the blink to the pre-set rate but be careful to make sure not too many wires are around it because that will cause the system to flicker your LEDs. If it is not installed in the model keep the blinker system running at room temperature until it changes back to normal. If it does not, it could be a faulty chip which if that turns out to be the case we will replace it for you. Try these procedures and Let us know if the rate returns to normal. Here's a recent video made for our lighting system on youtube. It shows examples of our standard pre-set blink rate for the anti-collision lights which is about 3 seconds on and 3 seconds off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKjCjfKu ... ature=plcp
PL Refit E...Modeling's final frontier...These are the continuing efforts of The Trekmodeler......to get that pile of plastic to look like a studio model!
brt

Post by brt »

It looks like just over 1 and 1 seconds in the youtube video around the 1:33 mark.
The Trekmodeler

brt wrote:It looks like just over 1 and 1 seconds in the youtube video around the 1:33 mark.
Sorry I meant the nav running lights. The blink rate for those are up to 3 seconds on/off. The strobes are correct 1 sec on and 1 sec off.
PL Refit E...Modeling's final frontier...These are the continuing efforts of The Trekmodeler......to get that pile of plastic to look like a studio model!
brt

Post by brt »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILSiAwWo2X8

nav lights if we are talking green, red and white are about 1 second on and off. Strobes, bridge, nacelles and bottom of secondary are a fraction of a second, flashing 2 to 3 times per second. Start in around 1:18 of clip from tmp, leaving drydock.
t2sides

Post by t2sides »

I'm experiencing the exact same as well. 7 Seconds on/off for the NAVs and the 'strobe' is on longer than it's off, it's kinda reverse of how it should be.

Emailed Trekmodeler for guidance.
Erk1701e

Post by Erk1701e »

I had a similiar issue. I emailed trekmodeler, they responded quickly and were very helpful!
Last edited by Erk1701e on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Trekmodeler

Ok guys,

For the recent issues concerning the blinker circuit. We've been selling these circuits for about 6 years now and we sold hundreds so far with little to no real problems. For the Nav circuit, we use a PIC. Though they(PICs) are reliable, fact is they are heat and static sensitive. The timing can fluctuate because of this but it is designed to balance out to the intended timing rate (which is about 3 seconds on and 3 seconds off) once it is connected to the overall circuit. We can speed the rate up but we intended it to start out a bit slow so it will be the correct rate once hookd up with the other lights. If you want the timing faster, it is a matter of changing from pin #12 to pin #13. We can do that for you if you like and we'll send you a new control board free of charge. Just let us know. :)