Is this a good power adapter?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

jkiker

Is this a good power adapter?

Post by jkiker »

Hi all,

As a newbie learning the lighting ropes, I have had a hard time finding a good power adapter for my Y-wing project. Based on the great assistance I have received here, I am looking for an ac to dc power adapter, 6 volt, .5 -1 Amp, and it must be regulated. I found several at decent prices that are not regulated. Now I have found this one at Jameco at the following url:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... _283573_-1

It is described as "regulated linear," but I do not see anything in the specs/write-ups that also says it's regulated. Does "regulated linear" mean the same as "regulated?" And will this properly fit my needs? This extended search is making my head hurt... ;-)

Thanks in advance, Jim
star-art

Post by star-art »

It's a linear power supply that's regulated. There are basically two types -- linear and switching.

A linear power supply is the "old fashioned" type that's been around for a long time. They are less complex, often cheaper, but can be bulky. A switching power supply is constructed quite differently and they can be much more efficient. They can also cost more.

One thing to keep in mind with switching power supplies is by nature they require a minimum load. (When they are plugged in, something must be connected to them that draws a certain amount of power.) If nothing is connected, it can damage the unit unless there is a built-in load resistor.

Jameco is one of my suppliers but they are not very helpful unless you know exactly what you need.

You should get some good books on learning the basics of electronics. Radio Shack has some old titles that are still a very good introduction. The books by Forrest Mims got me started many, many years ago.
www.StarshipBuilder.com Follow me on Facebook
Author, MODEL DESIGN & BLUEPRINTING HANDBOOK, Volume 1 SECOND EDITION NOW AVAILABLE
jkiker

Post by jkiker »

Hi Star,

Thanks for the additional information. It would seem, then, that this is a good power adapter for my hobby purposes, correct?

So far my experience is two-fold; one part is learning enough basics to make things work, and the second is figuring out where to find the things you actually need.

One thing that bugs me a bit is how scattered the information and necessary materials are for us hobbyists. One shop on-line has the LED's and resistors, another carries appropriate fiber optics, while a third carries a few power supplies/adapters that may or may not work. Most of the electronics places are not much interested in hobbyists, and I can understand why. It just makes it confusing for us newbies and it takes a lot of time to search for and find specific items such as those required to do even simple lighting for a model. I know, "welcome to the club, Jim!"

Thanks and cheers, Jim
star-art

Post by star-art »

I'd have to research the unit to know more, sorry no time for that at the moment. You should try to find out if it has a minimum load requirement or if it's safe to use with no load. It's better to get one that's safe for no load conditions.

It's frustrating I know but you have to dig for info and piece it all together. The way my brain works, I need to wrap my head around the concepts first, then dive into the details. Unfortunately, with technical subjects you are often buried in details and little or no overview can be found.

I am working on a book on this very subject (two of them actually). I'm doing a major build from scratch as we speak and it involves a ton of wiring. Even though I studied electrical engineering in college, and I have tons of 12V wiring experience, I had become quite rusty so I had to get back up to speed and also catch up on the latest technologies. I figured I'd share some of that info as soon as I get a chance.

I haven't posted the build here at SSM yet as I don't have images hosted, but you can read more here:

http://www.therpf.com/f10/c-movie-stars ... el-155323/

http://www.studioscalemodelers.com/foru ... p?tid=1723

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?p=4241692/

http://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=13798
Author, MODEL DESIGN & BLUEPRINTING HANDBOOK, Volume 1 SECOND EDITION NOW AVAILABLE
jkiker

Post by jkiker »

Hi Star,

I saw your replies both here and on another thread; thanks for responding to both. I had a look at the filming model you have bee working on; that's really something to be proud of and the lighting is definitely cool. I would be interested to know more about the film, maybe down the line?

Thanks for the advice on wiring; much appreciated!

Cheers, Jim
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Hi Jim,

Well, that power supply should work very well for your project.

It is indeed an older style linear regulator that will produce 6VDC and will do so up to a 500mA load. More than enough for LEDs. A typical LED will draw only 20mA so this supply can power about 20 LEDs connected in parallel. (I leave room for error you notice)

I would like to add that modern switching regulators actually do not require a minimum load, unless of course they are a very high power regulator which I doubt anyone here will need.

All the newer wall-wort power supplies that are much slimmer and comply with new EPA efficiency ratings are all switching type regulators. This allows them to be smaller, lighter and much more efficient but they do cost more. If a wall wort says that it is "regulated" then you usually get an output that stays within 5% of its listed output. Its the unregulated ones we don't want. Those are designed to be plugged into something that has its own internal regulator and will vary in output quite a lot depending on the load.

Hope that helps.

-John
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
star-art

Post by star-art »

Good to know! Shows how "old school" I am. LOL :)
jkiker

Post by jkiker »

Hi John,

Thank you for the additional information on these power sources; it is much needed and appreciated!

As I have started this lighting work from scratch, it has gotten to be somewhat expensive, so I do not mind paying a bit less for an "old school" adapter; if it serves the purpose I am happy to go that route!

Thanks and cheers, Jim
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I think that this would be a great subject for a WF class. Have a couple of wal warts and others parts and explain how they all work to provide you with the power to light your project.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
MichelHogard

Post by MichelHogard »

Hallo starmanmm,

You are right and my question is same? Because so many time i am facing this problem. If anyone can clear this then i will be benefited.

Geovision LPR
Geovision NVR
Geovision DVR
Geovision capture card