Glue for LEDs

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

bjblasko

Glue for LEDs

Post by bjblasko »

Can anybody suggest a good glue to use for holding LEDs in place. I plan on using low temp hot glue for LEDs that just need to be held in place on top of a surface, like inside an Enterprise saucer, let's say. What I need to know is what to use for ones that fit throgh a small hole that's split, like the nacelle lights on an Enterprise model. he LEDs need to be mounted before the parts are put together. Will regular model cement, like Testor's work?
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

I use 5-minute epoxy to secure LED's into place in my lighted models. Epoxy won't attack or weaken the plastics and won't frost things like super glue.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Superglue for me. It provides a quick, secure bond to the LED that is nigh-impossible to break.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Sorry Ty I'm gonna go with Mr. Osborn on this one. 5-minute epoxy for me is the way to go. I tried the CA but could never get the stuff to stick. Maybe I'm using the wrong CA. Which brand are you using that bonds the LED's well?
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

The transparent 'bulb' of the LEDs are actually resin so, normal glue just does not work. What I do nowadays is to either epoxy it, hot melt it, fit it onto a plastic tab, design the circuit board to fill the space or well, just use a LED holder...

But I don't use superglue no more since the stuff I do are usually 'portable'
What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Super glue (it can still frost the lens, be careful) 5 minute epoxy, hot glue and JB Weld are all in my bag of tricks for securing LEDs.
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Another product to try... called "House Hold Cement"... it is made by the people that make super glue. From what I have read, some people have had decent luck with it.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads