LED "Strobe" lights

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

bjblasko

LED "Strobe" lights

Post by bjblasko »

This is in reference to the Trekmodeler type light kits. There are two types of white LEDs used, and one is called strobe. What, if anything, is special about these LEDs?
opal_1970

Post by opal_1970 »

I do not have the lighting kit, but there should not be any difference from the strobe to any other LED, I am assuming that it is just a reference to the strobe light on the enterprise it is suppose to represent. i.e. the strobe nav light is a generally brighter, quicker flashing (approx 0.5 sec on, 0.5 sec off), white light where as the Green and Red nav lights are softer and their blink rate is slower (approx. 1 sec an, 1 sec off)

depending on which model you are building, some strobes have a "double-blink" frequency i.e. 0.5 sec on, 0.25 sec off, 0.5 sec on, 0.75 sec off.

Of course some LEDs have different power consumtion ratings (but has nothing to do with the reference "strobe"), which have to be taken into consideration when choosing which resistor to use, but as you are useing a lighting kit, this should already be correctly calculated.

hope that helps
-------------------------------------------
"I honor those who have gone where I have yet to go, who have seen what I have yet to see; for they are the true pioneers. May your journey be an adventure." -- Nomad farewell to the dead

Current build: TOS Galactica (Take 2)