Images (and other Visual Elements) in Posts

Rules of the road governing participation on these forums. All members are responsible for reading and heeding.

Moderators: TER-OR, onezero, LindaSmile

onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Images (and other Visual Elements) in Posts

Post by onezero »

Now that we have upgraded to the latest version of forum software, the previous ban on posting images in posts is rescinded (No images in siglines though - that hasn't changed). There's a setting in the User Control Panel (click on your name in the top left of the page) where you can disable seeing in-line images yourself, so you can still experience SSM in its antediluvian glory.

Have a heart - don't quote the whole post and every image within it - just quote the post text to which you wish to respond.

Please keep in mind that this is a "family-friendly" place, and we do have younger modelers coming here. A good guide is that if you wouldn't want your kid or your mother to see it, don't post it. Obviously this covers gratuitous nudity, sexual content, political stuff.

I'm not a fan of "political correctness". However, keep in mind that what you consider "OK" may well be considered "offensive" by others. For instance, I am greatly offended by the confederate battle rag; I consider its display the equivalent of spitting on the graves of hundreds of thousands of loyal Americans who died putting down the Slaveowners' Treason. I understand that others do not see it that way. A model or diorama shows confederate symbols in an appropriate context will be allowed. Symbols or images posted just to provoke others will be removed.

Examples:

Confederate cavalry charging Union tanks: Allowed.
Union soldier urinating on a confederate flag: not Allowed (for a bunch of reasons!)
Swastika on the tail of WW2 German aircraft: Historically accurate, so allowed
Swastika as your avatar: not allowed

Yes, I understand this sounds arbitrary, and to a certain extent it is. I guess the rule to follow is "Don't be a jerk."

I'm agnostic as to embedded video and other animations in posts. We'll decide those things on a case-by-case basis, if we get complaints.

No animated avatars though, since users can't turn those off like they can post images.

And no Flash. Flash is Evil.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.