Moorish long rifle

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ravila

Moorish long rifle

Post by ravila »

What paints and finishes can I use on the old Pyro Moorish long rifle? I want to use it as a physical prop to go along with a steampunk outfit, so it has to be durarable when handled by bare or gloved hands.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Automotive paints and clear coats would be my first choice.

If you don't want to start out getting paints from scratch I'd find out what paints you have on hand are compatible with automotive grade clearcoats and use that combination.

Ken
ravila

Post by ravila »

Thanks for the input.
rayra

Post by rayra »

a well cured hard lacquer finish is pretty durable. make sure any clear lacquer topcoat is compatible with your choice of paints. or vice versa.
Make sure the color coats are cured first, before lightly clear coating. Apply multiple light clear coats, rather than one heavy.
Paint your object at least a week before your 'handling' event.
Signature Intentionally Left Blank
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

If you are going to handle it a lot, I'd just use it as a pattern for a wood and metal prop. The Pyro kit looks cool, but it's light, flimsy and has limited play value. A passable gunstock is pretty easy to make from wood with a bandsaw and an angle grinder, interesting brass bits are all over bead stores woodworking catalogs, and furniture found on city streets. Replica cheesy pirate flintlocks you can scavenge the mechanisms from are on eBay and any number of things can be used for the barrel. It will take a little more time, but you may be happier with it. Just a suggestion, and not necessarily a good one.