Best way to make panelling details

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TooOld4This

Best way to make panelling details

Post by TooOld4This »

Hi guys,

I am about to start my Ravenstar SSD, and one thing I really need to know is how to get the slightly differently coloured panelling that you see on all the well painted kits.
As this is a very, very large ship, I don't want to do weathering, staining, streaking etc, as even the smallest 5mm streak would translate to a grease mark 100 metres long, and 10 meters wide!
Instead I want to do small, slightly darker and lighter panels randomly all over the hull, but...how?
I would like the panelling to be random squares and rectangles, but about 1mm, 2mm, or so in size.
Sort of like on this Super Star Destroyer:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sd5FsRB8MEE/S ... 1_1208.jpg

Also, any suggestions as to the shade of grey to use?
Here's some thought I had.
After applying the overall base coat:

1. Get a roll of tape, quite wide, roll out some short lengths, cut out numerous random squares and rectangles, apply to a small area, spray over that area, move tape strips to next section, maybe in a different order, laying the tape in another direction, and repeat. Continue for the entire model.
2. Get a "make you own stamp" kit, cut out a stamp of random shapes, go to town!
3. cover the kit in tiny pieces of tape (again, random squares and rectangles) respray kit, remove all the tiny pieces of tape (try and find them all!)
4. Get a decal sheet of appropriate colour, cut out aforementioned shapes, apply all over kit.
5. Hand paint them..die of old age.
6. Some other technique I am not aware of.

Thanks!
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Didn't you already post this in the Star Wars forum?
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
TooOld4This

Post by TooOld4This »

Mr. Badwrench wrote:Didn't you already post this in the Star Wars forum?
Yep, because this post was unanswered
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

IMHO, all options are not good - it might also depend whether you use a brush or an airbrush. From personal experience I can tell that a stamp does only work half-heartedly, you hardly get sharp edges and the amount of paint to apply to the stamp is a tricky thing. I'd also assume that finding the proper stamp material is a challenge in itself.

My suggestion, beyond the things you list: add panels made from thin polystyrene to the hull. Just painting them on makes them IMO just look like that, and when you want sharp edges you won't be able to avoid masks or tedious painting by hand.

Using 3-dimensional "plates" makes not only painting easier, it simply adds detail and allows washings and dry brushing to be used very effectively.

You can e. g. use Evergreen profiles, cut them to size and glue them in place. Not more work than masking.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
rayra

Post by rayra »

templates / stencils, with a random cutout pattern a la modern digital camoflage. Low air pressure, very low paint flow, darker shades first. Randomly move the stencil around, rotate it 90 degrees each shot, to randomize the pattern even more. Pre-mix the paint shades and be VERY subtle in their differences. Done well, you get a sense of large scale in a tiny area.

You can enhance this or even cheat it altogether shooting tainted thinners or even a clear gloss or matte. Especially on the large scale ship you want to do, where there wouldn't be much apparent variation in color.
Signature Intentionally Left Blank