really P.O.ed last night frisket lifted pain off

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

NathanJ

really P.O.ed last night frisket lifted pain off

Post by NathanJ »

Well, I am fairly new to the airbrush. I played with one before but not that much. Recently got a Enterprise C reissue and wanted to try airbrush for the paint scheme. It looked great, until the frisket peeled the paint right off. I did soak/wash the model but I did not prime it. What type of primer is the best to use for that before this thing goes flying out the window LOL. I do have it soaking in mean green to completely remove the old stuff. Thanks for your time.
geck

Post by geck »

Tamiya Gray Surface Primer.

Amazing stuff and more available now after a severe drought due to container re-labeling.

If you want that same primer in a larger quantity...the automotive stores carry a brand that is the exact same thing...but the name escapes me at the moment.

I would stay clear of the frisket...it is too tacky and will lift the paint off...possbily even with a primer. Plus it is a little too thick to bend around curves easily.

I use Tamiya masking tape exclusively...the stuff is unmatched by anything out there and was designed specifically for model use. Only downside is it's a little pricey.
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

I will try those if I can find them, if not I will order them. Hobby Lobby may have it. Thanks for the quick reply. I was tired last night and probably shouldn't have even picked it up.
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

Even tried the blue painters tape. BUt I degress it was stupid not to prime it.
geck

Post by geck »

Been there...I tried frisket years ago after seeing the "pros" use it and was just as frustrated.
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

Is it Mr .Surfacer 500?
Vetter

Post by Vetter »

I realize people can get hung up on brand names and that's fine. After all use what works for you. However I use rustoleum or krylon sandable automotive primer. You can pick it up everywhere in larger cans for less cost. It goes on light and dries fast. And it's pretty much the exact same stuff as the brand name "modeler" paint.
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

I will certainly try that. Going to pick up some frog tape from Sherwin Williams today. I just hate ordering stuff like that. Especially since Enterprise E just came today
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

geck wrote:Been there...I tried frisket years ago after seeing the "pros" use it and was just as frustrated.
Question: What "tack" did you guys use? There are low, medium and high tack for different applications. The low tack stuff - at least to me - has been as good to painted surfaces as Tamiya tape. Medium is only good for other stuff like display bases (ask me how I know :roll: ).

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

I am reasonably sure I got low tack, but with no primer I had set myself up for failure #-o
geck

Post by geck »

I don't remember what tack it was as it was many, many years ago. Since then...I just prefer to use tape...for me it's easier to work with.

So...I take it you had issues with the higher tack stuff as well?

NathanJ:

Mr Surfacer 500 is excellent primer. It produces a smoother finish than Tamiya's, but keep in mind there are different finishing grades, 500, 1000, and 1200, with 1200 being the finest.

BUT

Try it...see what works best for you. A lot of this stuff is personal preference. Also...definitely try Vetter's suggestion.
iSteve

Post by iSteve »

I feel your pain. I had the same thing happen to me last night trying to paint the aztec on the nacelles. My fault for not priming them first. Did a light sanding around the offending area and primed and painted again. I use Testors gray primer and Tamiya masking tape. I don't blame the tape; it's pretty low tack and only pulls on areas where I didn't prime first.
For 15 francs more, I can put a can of sardines on your chest.
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

well I got frog tape for delicate areas and that stuff is awesome!